Water changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Water changes

im curious to know, how do everyone do there weekly water changes?

do you treat the water before you put it in the tank or do you treat your water after you fill your tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (362/100%)
I do 70-80% water change using Python hose. Tap off and add Prime.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post

thanks, i was about 2 do my 50% change.... i wanted 2 make sure it was safe for the fish

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herns View Post
I do the same, except only about 40-50% water change, and I add the Prime as soon as I start adding new water. I use a garden hose, connected to the hose bib outside on my raised deck, and a PVC "U" shaped end at the tank, which hooks over the top of the tank, with the open end about half way down in the tank, and a tee fitting on its end to diffuse the water flow. I start with the empty hose in the tank, turn on the water and let the hose fill and air bubbles stop, then turn off the water, remove the hose from the hose bib and carry it to the end of the deck where the drain water can water the plants. To refill, I just carry that end back to the bibb and reattach and turn the water back on.

Hoppy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have an 8 gallon tank, that really only has a bout 6.5 after aquascape. I don't actually treat my water, as i have well water that is 9kH after the softener believe it or not) and 7.6 Ph to start with.. so i kind of lucked out

i only do around a 15-20% change every few days. because the tank is so small, i just dip a half gallon pitcher in there to drain the water down.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I do about 40% weekly via the 'bucket method' (I can't WAIT until I get a python, lol) and add Prime before I begin filling back up. Easy!

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use the python as well, it makes w/c so easy.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to The Wizard of BC
I'm running a 68 Gal. freshwater tank with a 26 gal. sump.

In theory, the reason we do water changes is to keep the Nitrates in check. If your plants are doing that for you great. If the Nitrate levels are rising then do a change to bring them down.

I test my water for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates and PH once a week.

If my Ammonia and Nitrite levels stay at 0 I know my wet-dry filter is working.
If my Nitrates begin to approach 10-12ppm I do a 10% water change.

I then test the next day after any change.

Otherwise I leave well enough alone.

The reason we treat tapwater is to remove the Cloromines. My tapwater has almost no Clormines but I treated anyway. I treated before I added the new water and let it sit for an hour. This also allows the water to warm in the room a bit.

(I used to use tapwater for changes but have found that my city water has fluctuating Nitrate levels. At times the Nitrates can read 15-20ppm.
Using this water would just raise my levels.

I have since changed over to RO water from the grocery store and treat it to put the minerals back in.
)

So, for advice, I would suggest that you test your tank water before contemplating a change, and also test what comes out of your tap the exact same way.

This gives you hard data to work from. Don't do a change just because someone says you should. Know why you are doing a water change and what effect that change is having.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A planted tank, with lots of plants, all growing well, will not build up nitrates in the water, if it has a "normal" fish load. But, it will probably run short of nitrates, as well as phosphates and potassium and trace elements. So, that is why we dose fertilizers. If the light intensity is low enough the fertilizers may not be needed at all. One reason for doing water changes is to avoid a build up of anything in the water. If you do a 50% water change every N days, you limit the maximum build up of anything in the water to twice the amount added to the water in N days.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode