How much Excel for a nano 6g? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question How much Excel for a nano 6g?

I have a JBJ 6g Nanocube and have been dosing one entire capful on water change day (Sunday), Tuesday, and Thursday (with the occasional Saturday thrown in).

Is this enough or too much? Or is it about right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dwarf Gourami, Cardinal Tetras, Julii Corydoras
Coralife T5NO (2x28w), DIY Yeast CO2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Manufacturer recommends 5ml / 50g H20. That's 1ml / 10g. That's .1 / 1g. So that's .6 ml / 6g. You can dose 2x recommended dosage so that's 1.2ml / 6g. You can dose that daily.

You dose 15ml /week. 1.2 x 7 = 8.4 ml / week for a 2x dosage. On your dose days, you are dosing 4x overdose. You are also dosing twice as much as you probably should throughout the course of each week. 3x-4x is what people dose if they are trying to kill BBA and even then they only do it for maybe a week and then stop and they have to watch their plants and animals for signs of stress.

I dose 6 drops daily in my 2.5g because I assume there is 2g of actual water, so that would put my dosage for 2x at .4 ml. Each of my drops is .06ml so I am dosing .36 instead of .40

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_alias
Manufacturer recommends 5ml / 50g H20. That's 1ml / 10g. That's .1 / 1g. So that's .6 ml / 6g. You can dose 2x recommended dosage so that's 1.2ml / 6g. You can dose that daily.

You dose 15ml /week. 1.2 x 7 = 8.4 ml / week for a 2x dosage. On your dose days, you are dosing 4x overdose. You are also dosing twice as much as you probably should throughout the course of each week. 3x-4x is what people dose if they are trying to kill BBA and even then they only do it for maybe a week and then stop and they have to watch their plants and animals for signs of stress.

I dose 6 drops daily in my 2.5g because I assume there is 2g of actual water, so that would put my dosage for 2x at .4 ml. Each of my drops is .06ml so I am dosing .36 instead of .40
This "Planted Aquarium Basics" .PDF file is saying:

"Five milliliters of Flourish Excel is added per 10 gallons of water 2-3 times a week."

One capful is five mL. So ... I understand your comments are the bottle instructions but is the designation in the article probably by experience? Maybe it's a safe range then?

Anyone else care to add any input?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am making my recommendations based on experience. I'm doing it. I've used it at 2x for everyday dosing and I've used it at 3x for helping rid a 55g of BBA.

Also, I'm not just going by what the bottle says, I'm dosing twice as much as the bottle says.

If you go by that other source, then you are still overdosing. You have 40% less water and you still dose the same amounts 3-4 times a week, not the prescribed 2-3.

If your 6g is running on 18w of light you shouldn't need a large overdose factor. However, if it isn't giving you any problems then you can add however much you want. I'm just telling you what the common standard is among a lot of Excel users. I dose 2x excel in my 2.5g running with 26w PC light.

If I'm not credible for some reason, maybe reading it in an article on Greg's website with a quote from Tom will mean more. http://www.gregwatson.com/NonCO2PlantedAquarium.htm

Here's a tank that doses about the same weekly amounts as you do. It's a 25g tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=excel

You can also compare your dosage ratio with what this person uses in their 30g .
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ighlight=excel

Here you can see what the dosages x's (multipliers) are for large overdoses to kill or kill back certain algaes. Note that these dosages are not used for extended periods of time, ie are not recommended for regular use.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20172

Here's a recommendation of 8ml 2-3x a week, for a 44g tank.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ght=excel+dose

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My apologies if I implied that you aren't credible.

Thanks for your help, I think that answers it.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

np. Just wanted to make it clear that my comments weren't the bottle instructions and that I was basing them on some experience, both first and second hand.

But like I said, you can dose whatever you like as long as it isn't causing you any problems. I'd like to hear back from you as to what you end up dosing and how it works out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode