Autodosing Excel.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Autodosing Excel....

Ok, I am in the process of setting up a DIY Autodosing system for Excel, Macros and Micros similar to this---4th and 5th pix down:

DIY Autodosing

According to Seachem, Excel is available for 24hrs after its dosed:

"Q: Is it better to add Flourish Excel at night or in the morning based upon plant carbon uptake physiology?
A: Carbon intake is a function of photosynthesis. Based on this, it would be ideal to dose Flourish Excel during the day. But given that Flourish Excel can stay complexed as a carbon source for up to 24 hours before it dissipates, you can dose at any time of the day and the product will be available for the next 24 hours. Flourish Excel is not carbon dioxide and there is no impact on pH using Flourish Excel."

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/...Excel_faq.html

Does anybody know when this 24hrs clock starts...??? Can Excel be setup in a solution (Excel + Water) and maintained in a Sealed Autodosing container....???

I asked this question on the Seachem forums, but I am still waiting for a reply...

Just thought someone here might have the answer, or be able to benefit from their reply--which I will post......

Thanx!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (67/100%)
Good question, I'm interested in the answer. I would think Excel is "fixed" so that it doesn't "dissipate" within the bottle and that adding it to an auto-doser with water would cause it to begin dissipating. I don't know the formula for excel or if it is "fixed" so couldn't say (not sure I could say even if I did know the formula and fixative agent ).
Looking forward to the answer!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I am interested in an answer as well... let us know. Just started adding Excel to my micro mix, not as a carbon source, but to see if it reduces the growth that I get in a bottle. Plus it's supposed to keep iron reduced, so maybe there are some additional side benefits of mixing it with iron and traces.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here is their first response:

"As long as you do not use aquarium water to dilute your Excel you will be fine."

I am not quite sure I understand that response, so the Thread is continuing at:

SeaChem Thread

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, here is their clarification on not using Aquarium water:

"Aquarium water is full of bacteria and other organics. This is what degrades the Excel."

Here is a side question that I asked and their reply:

Q: "Would there be any negative effect of mixing the proper ratios of the Excel, Macros and Micros in one container for this autodosing purpose...???"

A: "I have know people to mix micros, Excel and most macros and be fine. You do not want to mix Phosphorous with most of the other chemicals as you can cause a precipitation."

So, that allows everything, except Phosphorous, in one autodosing container--Convenience and low-setup costs: Single-air pump. Phosphorus can be dosed manually, or through a separate setup.

One thing that I have learned from tinkering with this is that: The entire setup needs to be in place exactly as it is going to be used. Desktop "Gauging" of the flow rate and dosed quantity is greatly altered when the system is set in place and has to battle height/head. And setting the Bottle up directly behind the tank requires a much less expensive/powerful air pump--even if the pump itself sits on the floor.

Additionally, I am setting this up in a 1 gal. jug that Mott's Apple Juice and Gatorade come in. If light becomes a problem--I will just spray paint them.

Hopes this helps out. This is a Great convenience for me.

Anybody have any thoughts on any of this....???

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Hey Naja, thanks for clarifying this. Seachems answer makes sense. I just started combining Excel with Micros and will see if it makes any difference, good or bad, after a few weeks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode