Large Tank Water Changes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Large Tank Water Changes

For many months I have been able to convince my wife that we didn't need the water softener turned on. That allowed me to do 50% water changes on my 150g tank straight from the tap (well water) and have it the same temperature as the tank water. Since I have discus that is 85 degrees.

It seems I am about to lose that battle. I don't have any way to store 75 gallons of water and heat it up to 85 degrees for the water changes. I can by-pass the softener and run untreated cold water, but what is in the hot water tank will be softened. I am afraid the discus aren't going to take kindly to being blasted by 55 degree water.

Those of you that have large tanks - how do you change water changes without stressing your fish? Those of you who keep discus - what kind of short term temperature change can they handle? If I run some untreated cold water with some softened hot water to get the temp I need, how will the plants handle it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
My tank is 65g so I'm just using a 35g "Tuff" Rubbermaid trash can as my water "barrel" to age the water overnight. You can find a 55g industrial can at Home Depot also. Fill it up..plop in a heater and air stone and you're good. For a 150g tank...you may need two of the trash cans...that will take up a ton of space!!

Re-boot!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I do water changes the "slow" way, using a garden hose, ice-cold water, over the course of two or three hours, while watching the thermometer and having the heater going.

If you don't have the space for something like Ed suggested, you might want to look into some sort of more permanent plumbing and do smaller water changes every day, or let it trickle all the time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
you may need two of the trash cans...that will take up a ton of space!!

That wouldn't bother me, but I know it won't fly on the domestic relations front. I got nixed just floating the idea of a quarantine tank

Many years ago I had visited a discus breeder and asked him how he heated water for his 50 or so tanks. He told me he didn't worry about it, that he just put the cold water in the tanks and the fish liked it. I am not about to do that and risk disaster again!

I think the solution is subterfuge. Days that I need to do a WC I will turn off the softener early in the day. By the time I am ready most of the treated water will be out of the water heater. Then when I mix it with the cold water there wonít be much treated water going into the aquarium. When I am finished I will turn the softener back on.

Do you see any problems with a small amount of softened water getting into the mix?

Wasserpest, do you have a softener? Why donít you put hot water in your tank?

Welcome back Ed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelmo
Wasserpest, do you have a softener? Why donít you put hot water in your tank?
Just convenience... I use garden hoses to get the water into the back yard, then I hook them up to the garden outlet to refill the tank. I think slow water changes are less stressful for fishies. While the tank is refilling, I can do some aquascaping or get started on the next tank. Of course, if you need to finish the whole ordeal quickly, using warm water is better.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
If a storage container is the problem get a 5 gallon jug and a 300 or 500 watt heater. Turn the heater on max and let it heat up the 5 gallon jug of water, will be able to do 10 gallons (5 heated and 5 cold) at a time that way, won't lower the temperature of the tank very much. Hang several more heaters in the tank and the water will get up to temp quickly.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
How attached to the wife are you?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Just great!

Bill
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Alimony wouldn't leave much $ left for the hobby!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 01:33 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelmo
Alimony wouldn't leave much $ left for the hobby!
So that means you had already considered Rex's idea? lol
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
Hmmmm okay ya cant get rid of the wife. I have the same probem. J/K! How about a large garbage can and a bucket heater like here http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...AE5&ccd=IFH003 This way you can fill the larger container and heat all in the same morning.I have used these before and they warm water pretty quickly. Pretty inexpensive item and handy. I use one to warm water on job sites. I only use a 5gal bucket but I am sure it would work well on a larger amount of water. Who knows maybe you could through it in the tank. Just dont walk away for to long or its FISH FOR DINNER! lol

Just throwing ideas out there

riverrat
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ihave a 150 gal tank with discus,I do a 50-70%WC every week,I use the water straight from the tap and fill it up over 1-2 hour's and add dechlorinator as i go.
Last time i checked i have about 4 deg swing in temp, Sometimes the discus sit or swim directly under the incoming water.
Have done WC this way for a couple of year's now with no problems.

You can always add but never take.

Aussie Style
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:26 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
When I was in central america, the few hot showers I had were done with an inline electric water heater - no tank.

If you could get something like that in the us (in stainless?) and just hook it up to your hose, you might have a solution. I do not know what amp they were, but do rember the house lighting dimming a little when someone took a shower...

Basically saying how about a 1500 watt inline heater.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Here's an example of what jgc is speaking of;
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...3.4&lpage=none

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I considered using one of these, but couldn't figure out a good way to get reliable 75 F water out of one instead of 110 F water. One of our techncrats here probably can do it.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode