What is this buildup in my macro fertilizer solution reservoir ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)
What is this buildup in my macro fertilizer solution reservoir ?

I made this marco solution two weeks ago. The solution had KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, GH booster, some MgSO4, and some CaSO4. The buildup doesn’t feel slimy… it is more like a dry sandy texture. There is no smell or mold in the solution. What is causing this buildup?

Too much Ca and Mg in the solution?

Last edited by n00dl3; 02-27-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi n00dl3,

I have a quick question, you are using GH Booster and MgSO4 and CaSO4? The ingredients in GH Booster would depend upon your source but most contain some variation of: 3 parts K2SO4, 3 parts CaSO4 and 1 part MgSO4. Are you monitoring your dGH in your aquarium?

In answer to your question, it looks like excess minerals/chemicals have precipitated out of solution; possibly the solution was mixed with warmer water and has now cooled. It is impossible to determine the exact chemicals without analysis. You could try mixing the same quantity of ingredients in a larger volume of water and see if the problem persists.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi n00dl3,

I have a quick question, you are using GH Booster and MgSO4 and CaSO4? The ingredients in GH Booster would depend upon your source but most contain some variation of: 3 parts K2SO4, 3 parts CaSO4 and 1 part MgSO4. Are you monitoring your dGH in your aquarium?.
Yes, I was tinkering with my GH formula. I was getting some Mg and Ca deficiencies in my tank. So figured to add more some additional Mg and Ca into the formula. No, I'm not monitoring my dGH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
In answer to your question, it looks like excess minerals/chemicals have precipitated out of solution; possibly the solution was mixed with warmer water and has now cooled. It is impossible to determine the exact chemicals without analysis. You could try mixing the same quantity of ingredients in a larger volume of water and see if the problem persists.
Yes, it was mixed with hot water. I was using the hot water to mix the CSM+B so I used it for the macro solution too. I didn't know it would precipitated like that. Can I still use the solution or do I need to mix a new one?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like Calcium Sulfate precipitate...but if you have some NaOH kicking around in solution form you could combine that with some of your unknown and based on what color precipatate is caused you could tell for sure, white milky = calcium. Looks like the quantity of the salt added in solution exceeded its disolve rate so it leeched back out in its original form. Like adding a bunch of sugar to boiling water till its saturation point and cooling it with a string in it to make rock candy.

29g Tetra Tank
100g Planted Angel/Clown Loach
I can't spell...Im an engineer, I do math
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
As mentioned, it is impossible to tell what the chemical composition of the precipitated salts are, without access to analytical equipment.

In any case, you are likely trying to dissolve too much solute into your particular volume of water (super saturation), and upon cooling, the salts will begin to precipitate out of solution.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtanks View Post
Looks like Calcium Sulfate precipitate...but if you have some NaOH kicking around in solution form you could combine that with some of your unknown and based on what color precipatate is caused you could tell for sure, white milky = calcium. Looks like the quantity of the salt added in solution exceeded its disolve rate so it leeched back out in its original form. Like adding a bunch of sugar to boiling water till its saturation point and cooling it with a string in it to make rock candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
As mentioned, it is impossible to tell what the chemical composition of the precipitated salts are, without access to analytical equipment.

In any case, you are likely trying to dissolve too much solute into your particular volume of water (super saturation), and upon cooling, the salts will begin to precipitate out of solution.
I thought I was under the saturation point for the formula. But I didn't take a point with extra Mg and Ca. I guess I will remix the solution and get a separate container for the GH.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:12 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dl3 View Post
I thought I was under the saturation point for the formula. But I didn't take a point with extra Mg and Ca. I guess I will remix the solution and get a separate container for the GH.
Were you looking at the solubilities of each chemical individually? With a mixture of salts, the common ion effect is likely causing the least soluble of salts to precipitate out.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode