I need test kit suggestions, please. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
I need test kit suggestions, please.

Hello all!
I've been back in the hobby for almost two years with very limited testing... I've got a ph, kh & no3 all Sera. I've recently started EI dosing & I'd like to get a more thorough test kit. Getting more into shrimp too! I'd like suggestions on what to get and why. I really appreciate the help! If I've missed a useful thread, I don't mind links, actually they are quite helpful. No point in writing something multiple times! Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The usual ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH test kits are good to have. You may also want a gH, kH and phosphate test kit.

That is pretty much all you really need.

API is a decent brand to go to, and is reasonably priced.

If you want more precise results, LaMotte makes good (but pricier) test kits as well.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Anthony! I will check it out.

RAOK Club #24

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So it looks like the API Master Test Kit includes all of those except phosphate. It seems like I remember reading that here before.

Any suggestions on a TDS meter?

Thanks!

RAOK Club #24
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Any need for copper? Are there tests for the ferts we dose on a regular basis?

RAOK Club #24
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The API Master Test kit I've seen doesn't come with GH or KH tests. I bought the Master test kit and had to buy those 2 test kits separately. And no it didn't come with Phosphate test either.

I do like the API GH & KH tests. With API Master kit the colors are hard to distinguish especially the Nitrate tests .. for example the color for 10ppm and 20ppm look almost the same to me .. worse is 40ppm looks identical to 80ppm which is a big difference. I want to know for sure if it's 40, possible water change time or 80 which definitely needs water change. I don't know if any other brands are easier to read or not. I have the Seachem Phosphate test and have a very hard time determining those colors also.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
ELOS test kits are the best IMO. It's stupid expensive! You pay for what you get though. Down side is that everything is separate and costs about $15-30 each.

Here's a link to their site and test kits.

API kits are decently priced, but doesn't come with everything. The FW one comes with pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate I think. Pretty good for a baseline test kit. Pretty accurate as well unless you touch the top of the vial with your finger.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 01:51 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
So it looks like the API Master Test Kit includes all of those except phosphate. It seems like I remember reading that here before.

Any suggestions on a TDS meter?

Thanks!
I don't think the API master test kit includes gH or kH either.

As for a TDS meter, I personally do not use one, but I am sure other people can comment on good brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Any need for copper? Are there tests for the ferts we dose on a regular basis?
I don't think a copper test (or iron test, for that matter) are required, but some people like having them, just in case.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I don't think the API master test kit includes gH or kH either.

As for a TDS meter, I personally do not use one, but I am sure other people can comment on good brands.

I don't think a copper test (or iron test, for that matter) are required, but some people like having them, just in case.

The more expensive ones are just more fancier and accurate, but generally any will work fine and give you the results you want. If you can con someone into buying those crappy water purifying jars from Walmart, some of them come with a TDS meter. Those work great! Here's a link to one of them that have a free meter inside the box. Or you can just buy any kind separate. Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, etc sells them for about $10-15.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode