recommended ph / kh test kit? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
recommended ph / kh test kit?

I've been using the 5 in 1 test strips for a while (before I went to pressurized CO2), and I'm afraid that my margin of error with them is far too high. pH on the strips is shown in shades of orange, and kh is shown in a shade of green. It seems that either the test kit resolution is poor, or my color vision is failing, because I can't tell the difference between 6.4 and 6.8 ph (quite a difference with calculated CO2 concentration). The kh is much easier to read, but I feel that the readings I'm using are less than precise do to my difficulties interpreting the colors. Does anyone recommend a specific brand or type of pH and or kh test? I have used the test tube pH tests plenty of times, and I find them almost as hard to read. I used to hear a lot about LaMotte, but I recall them being expensive for the initial kit, and not much cheaper for indicator refills. Your help is apprectiated!

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 04:34 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
I like aquarium pharmaceuticals. They seem to be the most accurate and easy to read. And they don't cost much

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I agree. That's what I always have used. My Hanna pHep 4 digital pH meter can confirm the AP test usually.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:40 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
I sell hardwood floors with 56 shades of red. I can tell what colour is which even on something as varied as wood. I still can`t tell whether my ph is mid 7`s or mid 8`s with the AP test kit. I haven`t tested with any other kits but gave up using the AP.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use Aquarium Pharm. pH test kit and I find it rather difficult to tell what the pH is exactly.

Right now the color is between the 7.6 and 7.2 indicators, probably closer to 7.2. Hell, maybe it IS 7.2?

I am not sure and can only guess within a few tenths what my pH is, but with a KH of 24 like I have, small movement in pH can indicate large movement in CO2 concentration so it makes me nervous.

Also I'm slightly color blind which doesn't help, but last night I had my wife read my test and at first she was like, oh yeah that's just below 7.6 like last time, and I said are you sure, and she took it from me and looked longer and then was saying that no, it is probably almost 7.2.

So it's a crapshoot if you ask me.

Regards,
Barry

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderbe
I use Aquarium Pharm. pH test kit and I find it rather difficult to tell what the pH is exactly.

So it's a crapshoot if you ask me.
You would probably like a handheld Hanna pHep 4 or Phep 5 digital pH tester. They also have a temp guage, but that I never look at...

Wow, did you say KH of 24? That is serious carbonate hardness.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
You would probably like a handheld Hanna pHep 4 or Phep 5 digital pH tester. They also have a temp guage, but that I never look at...

Wow, did you say KH of 24? That is serious carbonate hardness.
Yeah water out of the tap is KH of 20 and in the tank is 24 for some reason.. all that's in there is silica sand, drift wood and (for now) fake plants.

I have a hanna ph meter but it is way out of whack and I need to buy calibration solution for it..

Regards,
Barry

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderbe
Right now the color is between the 7.6 and 7.2 indicators, probably closer to 7.2. Hell, maybe it IS 7.2?
I bent over laughing when I read this, I know exactly what you mean. I even asked my 4 yr old daughter and wife. They agreed 7.0 to 7.6.

Jeremy

55 gal., DIY stand, hood, rex reactor, & bubble counter, XP2, Coralife 65 X 4 w/remote ballast, flourite

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode