Epsom salt/ MG - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Epsom salt/ MG

I thought someone stated that if your GH is above 3 degrees it's best to add epsom salt/ mgso4?, did i read this correctly?, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 05:23 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
The GH component of your water is made up mostly of Ca and Mg. I'm not sure why it would be 'best' to add Mg. It appears that in more cases (mine, I believe), a high GH can be predominantly made up of Ca, so you can still be Mg deficient. So, I'd guess that the likelihood of Mg being low is higher, so start by adding Mg if you feel you have a deficiency. If you are looking to just raise the GH, because you want to, then you should likely add both, and there's some proportion folks will recommend...though I haven't really thought through why that should really make a difference.

My thoughts,
Brian.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:17 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
So here is a stupid question. If you have deceided to add Epson Salt, or MGSO4 where does one get it. Can you pick that up at Walgreens or what.

JR

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Epsom salts should be available at any pharmacy. Or if you were ordering from Greg Watson you could probably add it to the order.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The majority of hardness is made up of calcium, not magnesium. It's best to add a calcium compound (such as calcium chloride or calcium sulfate) to raise GH. If reconstituting RO/DI water, you should use a 3:1 to 4:1 calcium to magnesium ratio.

For example, Edward over at APC recently did an experiment and found that Rotala Wallichii stops growing when Magnesium levels reach 10 ppm. When he lowered the magnesium levels, it started growing again:

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

I'm almost positive that Tom mentioned to add epsom salt if the GH is above 3 degrees, if i can just find that post.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
I think you should look into seachem equilibrium. Just a thought but I think it is recommended for people with a low gh.

riverrat
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

My GH is actually 10 degrees and i was surprised when i red that, i know that rex guide's says not needed if it's 3 or over i think, maybe it was a typo.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode