3bps of CO2 too much for a 24gallon? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
3bps of CO2 too much for a 24gallon?

I've measured my CO2 before using KH and PH and its usually around the 50ppm mark. But i still get hair and staghorn algae. That used to be with 2 bubbles per second. Now i've jacked that up to 3bubbles per second. To me it sounds like a bit much for such a small tank? But the fish arent gasping and i think the plants pearl more. I'll have to wait a month or so to see if it makes any difference to the algae. But i was jsut curious about how many bps you guys have on your tanks (and the tank size).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Maybe 2bps into an AM 1000 external reactor powered by an Eheim 2026 on a 55g. When I measured ph and kh and calculated it was always somewhere like 40-80ppm. I haven't tested it in a long time.

My policy is jack it up until things are pearling real nicely, then jack it up a little more.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you're just curious for scientific reasons.

What is your method of diffusion/dissolving?

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
And here are some good sources that the search feature supplied. Plenty of good repsonses for you to build an opinion on. Probably keep people from having to repost their specs here.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=bps+co2

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...hlight=bps+co2

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
A friend (and fellow SFBAAPS member) uses his Otos to gauge the CO2 concentration in his tanks. He keeps turning up the CO2 until he notices the Otos all congregating near the filter intakes, then he backs it down a smidge. Seems that the Otos are pretty sensitive in that way. If you cranked it up a bit higher they'd start dying.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Bubble rate (CO2 level) is not the only way to reduce algae. It's a balance of many things that keeps algae at bay.

If you indeed had 50 ppm of CO2 and you just jacked it up I'd say you are about to kill your fishies. On the other hand, maybe the test kits are bad and the fishies are lucky.

All I am really saying is that you can not compare bubble rates from different tanks.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Ah okay, fair enough. I'm just trying to balance it all out. But i thought with CO2 you can overdose without fear of algae. Whereas overdosing lighting or ferts will result in algae. So basically the only bad thing that can come out of too much CO2, is fish dying, right?

My lone oto seems to be fine. And thanks for the links random alias. I feel a bit silly asking it now after seeing those threads. heh.

p.s i use a DIY rex reactor for diffusion.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Bubble rate (CO2 level) is not the only way to reduce algae. It's a balance of many things that keeps algae at bay.

If you indeed had 50 ppm of CO2 and you just jacked it up I'd say you are about to kill your fishies. On the other hand, maybe the test kits are bad and the fishies are lucky.

All I am really saying is that you can not compare bubble rates from different tanks.
Couldn't have said it better. CO2 is not an algicide. You have a nutrient imbalance causing the algae. Plain and simple.

Give us NO3 and PO4 readings, and tell us about your fert dosing regimen (so we know how you're dosing K and traces, including iron).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

My dosing regime is this:

Day1: 50% Waterchange then, 1/4 teaspoon KNO3, 1/8 teaspoon K2SO4
Day2: 5ml Flourish
Day3: 1/4 teaspoon KNO3, 1/8 teaspoon K2SO4
Day4: 5ml Flourish
Day5: 1/4 teaspoon KNO3, 1/8 teaspoon K2SO4
Day6: 5ml Flourish
Day7: -

I used to also does 1/8 teaspoon KH2PO4, but i have lots of fish poop in my tank and that gives me heaps of phosphates. I only dosed heaps of KH2PO4 to combat GSA, but after a while, my tank developed heaps of staghorn, hair and BBA.

Last i check my readings were: Nitrates around 10ppm, Phosphates around 2ppm, and CO2 is about 50ppm.

I'll recheck these tonight.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:41 PM

Well, lets see.
An 1/8tsp of KH2PO4 in 24 gallons is over 3ppm of phosphate. too much...good that you don't dose it anymore.
A 1/4 tps of KNO3 plus 1/8tsp K2SO4 is less than 10ppm of potassium. not enough
1/4 tsp of KNO3 is about 10ppm of nitrate..this is good, assuming your tank has almost no nitrate in it after a water change.

there's no reason to run CO2 at 50ppm. 40ppm or even 35ppm is more than sufficient for plants. Going above those levels does nothing but lower pH and use more CO2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode