Fish gasping after every WC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to otter
Fish gasping after every WC

Every sunday I do a 50% WC. The last three weeks my fish have been gasping, all the shrimp and snails are at the top on monday morning. The bizarre thing is, the only change I've made about the same time that this started was to put my ph controllers solenoid controller on the timer with my lights. I use to let the Co2 run 24/7 figuring that ph controller would do its job and shut it down. Now I'm shutting it off at night and the fish gasp in the morning, but only after WC... what's going on here? Is it just coincidental? Any theories?

kH = 15
pH = 7 (w/Co2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you treat the water before adding it to your tank?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Funny you should ask! Yes, but not after this week.. I just found out that my town doesn't add chlorine or chloramine.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Well, not an expert by any means about the Co2 stuff, but I do know that many fish can exibit the signs you speak of from pH shock if the pH changes more than .2 at one time. What is the pH of the water you are adding vs the pH of your tank?

Something so expensive and addictive HAS to be illegal. I'm just waiting for the police to break down my door and confinscate my fish food.
What's my sign? I'm an aquarist. --- 18g Planted Guppies, 15g Planted Killifish, 40g Planted Molly, 55g Asst Cichlids, 120g Planted Community, 60g Salty Reef, 180g Planted Goldfish

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
___
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you have city water...yet they do not add chlorine?
i find that very odd....
the only reason the fish would gasp at the surface is because...
too much co2, ammonia, chlorine, or ph shock.....
do you have test kits?
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAF CAF
Well, not an expert by any means about the Co2 stuff, but I do know that many fish can exibit the signs you speak of from pH shock if the pH changes more than .2 at one time. What is the pH of the water you are adding vs the pH of your tank?

Actually this is not true in a CO2 injected tank. And a swing of only .2 is nothing. In the wild the pH can vary by at least 1 full point in a very short amount of time due to a number of factors.

pH is not as big a factor as TDS and the difference in kH and gH.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 09:00 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple red
you have city water...yet they do not add chlorine?
i find that very odd....
the only reason the fish would gasp at the surface is because...
too much co2, ammonia, chlorine, or ph shock.....
do you have test kits?
Or lack of O2? With that large a change and warmer water it could be possible you are depleting the O2 in the tank. Water out of the pipes of your house don't always have a a lot of O2. Warmer water holds less O2 than colder.

Killed a couple of koi because I didn't know water out of the hose/well had little to no O2
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

by too much co2 i meant not enough o2
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I'd like to know what the pH out of the tap is.

I am thinking that if there is a great difference between the pH of your tap water and the setting on your pH controller, and you have the needle valve wide open (you inject CO2 at a fast rate), your controller and regulator may be blasting the aquarium with CO2 at a fast rate to get the pH down to your set point. It may not be so much the point value of the pH swing, as much as the rate of the swing. Right now I don't think the timer has much to do with it.

Check your CO2 rate of flow.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Check your CO2 rate of flow.
Oh yeah! I forgot that I added a "Rex Reactor" about the same time as this started, but I left the bubble rate the same. It must be getting diffused much faster and more efficiently then the old way of sending the bubbles up the canister intake (?) So I've backed off on the BPM (it was at almost 120!), and we'll see what happens in the AM. Thanks!
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 03:25 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
This is interesting. I have noticed this on the last two times I did my 50% water change. I had never had this problem before, but these two last changes were after I had finally gotten my CO2 up to where I wanted it, around 50PPM. I never had the problem when CO2 was low. I am intrigued by the suggestion above the the O2 content of the tap water my be very low which is causing the problem. Given my experiance I don't believe it can be related to a drop in CO2, PH or temp.

JR
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Otterdahl
Every sunday I do a 50% WC. The last three weeks my fish have been gasping, all the shrimp and snails are at the top on monday morning. The bizarre thing is, the only change I've made about the same time that this started was to put my ph controllers solenoid controller on the timer with my lights. I use to let the Co2 run 24/7 figuring that ph controller would do its job and shut it down. Now I'm shutting it off at night and the fish gasp in the morning, but only after WC... what's going on here? Is it just coincidental? Any theories?

kH = 15
pH = 7 (w/Co2)
I too woke up this morning to find my fish gasping at the surface after having done a 50% water change last night.

I tested for nitrites and ammonia this morning. Will test for pH when I get home.

Note that I do not inject CO2 at present so the likelihood of this being O2 related seems low.

Maybe my city's water chemistry changed.

I noticed you live about 40 miles from me. I wonder if our cities use the same water source?

Regards,
Barry

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:45 PM

Sooooooooooo weird,I too had fish gasping at the surface and never had the problem before.I hurried up and change some more water and the German rams and cardinals in my tank seemed do be doing better.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:13 PM

well water

My water comes from municipal wells and it seems to have low oxygen. I lost 5 discus to a big water change and adding CO2 overnight instead of off with the lights. If a capful of H2O2 makes the fish feel better, you probably have low oxygen.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I noticed you live about 40 miles from me. I wonder if our cities use the same water source?
I'll see if I can find out.

No gasping this Monday morning. I did lower the BPM slightly though. Hmmm... thanks for all the input.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode