PH= 6.9
KH = 2

is there nay way to get my KH higher? I cannot get my co2 above 8ppm

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 11:13 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
You can raise the KH with baking soda or crushed coral but I'm afraid that won't help raise the CO2 levels. As you raise the KH the PH will rise. You can not increase CO2 levels by artificially trying to manipulate kh and ph via phosphate buffers and the like. The only real way to increase CO2 levels is to introduce more CO2 into the water column via better reactor, less surface agitation.

Marcel
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2003, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Marcel,

My KH used to be at 4-5 but once i moved the kh here is 2... I am injecting via hipressure... I never had a problem getting CO2 up to 20-30ppm before.

So the KH has no impact on how much Co2 can be disolved into the water?

Scott

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 12:34 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
The only thing a higher KH will do is stabilize ph swings. Below about KH-2 you can experience some pretty wild ph swings. You can easily increase your kh with baking soda. If you have a ph controller ph swings shouldn't be of any concern. The other concern I have though is if you have some tannins and or phosphates in the water the PH/KH/CO2 chart relationship can get swayed very easily at a low kh value. You can either increase your kh to make the chart more accurate or get the LaMotte direct CO2 titration kit to measure CO2 directly.

Marcel
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
hi guys, i remember reading somewhere on the internet (about.com?) that if you have water like yours, then you don't need to add CO2 and you get the same growth results as someone who has harder water, higher ph and added CO2.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 07:39 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
IMO that depends on the light intensity. I had good results with low-light planted tanks with soft water without adding any CO2. With higher light levels, plants will be starving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2003, 01:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
hi guys, i remember reading somewhere on the internet (about.com?) that if you have water like yours, then you don't need to add CO2 and you get the same growth results as someone who has harder water, higher ph and added CO2.
Simple answer here BULLS*IT. Maybe on a low light slow growing tank. And your plant selection would be very limited. My tap water right now is pH 6.6, kH 0, gH 0. I have to harden the water to get the minerals the plants grow. And even on my 2 wpg tank I need CO2 injection to keep the plants growing well and the algae at bay.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 09:42 PM

Just added a high pressure co2 system yesterday and after testing my water every four hours or so i am a little confused. Its an eheim system complete with a ph indicator. My ph is reading 6.6 while kh is still up at 12 degrees. According to the ph/kh chart that tells me that my co2 is running somewhere between 75-113 ppm. The strange thing is that the co2 indicator is reading green, meaning adequate amounts of co2 -in an ideal range.......Dont have any fish in the tank so i cant use that as an indicator. Im just wanting things to stabilize somewhat and with fuzzy readings its proving difficult.....almost makes me think my tests are off but ive double checked them....weird
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
kH is easy to test for if your test kit is fresh and you are not color blind. pH is a little harder. It's hard to match the colors against the strip. I'm not familiar with the Eheim pH indicator so I don't know how it works, but most of them are nothing more than fancy pH indicators.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 11:26 AM

If your CO2 indicator is one of those little cups that you put upside down under the water, then it's most likely reading green bacause your water's pH is 6.6. I got one of those - thinking they would be really great for realtime monitoring of CO2 - only to find out after I got it that it's just a pH indicator.

I have hard water and a higher pH. My little indicator never said I had enough CO2, even when the Lamotte test kit said the CO2 was 30 ppm!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I believe Rex uses the Wardley kits, they are quite hard to read, but very accurate once you get the hang...

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 10:00 PM

Is it true that peat can alter test results from a kh test???I am currently using peat in one stage of the filter, and this may explain faulty ph/kh/co2 readings......
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 03:16 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherwise
The kH/pH/CO2 chart assumes that the total buffering capacity (kH) is all due to carbonates. Peat releases organic acids (not carbonate based) that consume kH --> lowering pH, leading to false kH and pH readings.
Actually the KH and pH readings would be correct, the CO2 calculation would be incorrect (false) due to the factors that involve the humic acids and other organics that confound the water chemisty.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode