Water parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water parameters

I need some help with my water because I can't seem to get my Ph to get stable. I am able to get it down to 7.0 but then during the day it gets up to 7.6. I just recently set up the tank...it is about 2 months old. I am using Ecocomplete for my substrate. I am injecting CO2 and I do have a Milwaukee Co2 controller. My tank is a 92 gallon corner tank. I would like to know if there are any tests I need to do in order to help you provide me with any help or information. I do use R/O water to do water changes and use R/O right to put some trace elements back into the water. My tap water is at about 8.0 straight from tht tap and is pretty hard tap water. I am just keeping small tetras as far as fish go. I am having slight algae problems and am trying to figure out how to stablize my water and get rid of the algae issue. I would appreciate any help or information you could give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Planted Member

What is the KH and GH of your tank and of your tap water? Since you are using RO water you need to make sure your KH in your tank is a least 3deg. Otherwise you can have large pH swings when you inject CO2 and stress your fish.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

my gh was 8dH and kh was 4dH in the tank and the ph was7.4

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:35 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt
I am having slight algae problems and am trying to figure out how to stablize my water and get rid of the algae issue. I would appreciate any help or information you could give me.
Use tap water. With CO2 injection and your kH of 4, you should target a pH of about 6.8. That will kill algae, make fish happy, and grow lots of healthy plants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt
my gh was 8dH and kh was 4dH in the tank and the ph was7.4
My tap is exactlky the same.
With those tap parametes you can grow most any common plant, and house most any fish without the aid of RO, and grow lush healthy plants with proper C02 and a good dosing regime.

I question you're method of diffusion, type of filter, (biomedia), and dosing.

Start here

Craig

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:10 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Use tap water. With CO2 injection and your kH of 4, you should target a pH of about 6.8. That will kill algae, make fish happy, and grow lots of healthy plants.
A ph of 6.8 is good? I just set up my CO2 last night and my regular tap water comes out at 7.6 ph but with the CO2 it went down to 6.8. If that's good enough, then I'll leave it there. But if I would like to raise the ph, do I just use baking soda to raise it, or do I use something else?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
pH is not that critical. We are more interested in CO2 level.

Shoot for a kH of at least 3 degrees and a CO2 level of 30 ppm.

And test your tap water after it has rested for 24 hours.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode