CO2 system and kH question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile CO2 system and kH question

Being new to a CO2 system, I have just set it up and have a few questions. I have a planted 55 gal tank with lots of fish. I am under the impression that I should shoot for 20 ppm CO2 for my plants. My pH has been running about 6.8 and my kH is 38.5 ppm. The chart shows that my CO2 is about 8.5. How low can I safely go on my pH? Would it be better for me to raise my kH and keep the pH about 6.8? How would anyone recommend making this adjustment?

Thanks,
Chrissy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to daveonbass
sounds to me like it's not that bad...

You could lower your PH to about 6.5...which should be easy if you are injecting CO2. Or you could try to raise your KH to 80 PPM. either way it's not that far off. If you have a bottle for your CO2 I would say to just lower the PH would be the easiest...you simply inject more co2 till the ph is at 6.5 and try to keep it there...otherwise I am not sure how to alter your KH at the moment. Plus you haven't mentioned what kind of fish you have and that could help determine how to proceede.

dave
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:56 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Are you having plant/algae issues? I would use the growth (or lack thereof) in the tank to validate your test kits' results. They really can't be trusted.

A couple Q's: what type of system (pressurized or DIY yeast)? Also, what is your estimated bubble production rate (bubbles/minute)?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
The key is really in your KH. If you kh is lower then 3, you run the risk of a PH crash because of the lack of buffer(KH). If you are concerned, I would raise your KH using some baking soda. Shoot for 4-5 degrees of KH. Then you dont have to worry as much about PH crash. I recommend at least 30ppms of CO2. This level has to be constant as well. I run two tanks where my kh is about 4-5 and my ph is 6.3-6.5. All my fish and shrimp are fine. Start slow...the key is to watch your plants and algae. If there is no algae and there is plant growth, then you are doing things right. If there is algae, more times then not, it is an instability in CO2.

jB
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

My co2 set up

Thanks for the replies. I have two german blue rams, an albino rose finned shark, a bulldog pleco, australian rainbow, parkinson rainbow, turquoise rainbow, 5 odesus barbs and 8 common ottos. I just switched to a co2 tank system with a milwaukee ph controler, and an in tank reactor. My pH drops to 6.4 at night and comes up to about 6.8 during the day. I initially had the controler set for a pH of 6.8 but it never comes on - and with my kH running at two degrees, my CO2 saturation is much lower than I need. Most of my fish seem to prefer a ph of about 7 or so. That is why I was considering raising the kH rather than lower the co2. If I decide to go that route, I suppose I would end up adding baking soda to new water with every water change? Is that something people are doing on a regular basis?

Thanks,
Chris
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Another Portland water user. You will need to add some baking soda to get your kH up around 70-75 ppm. Also since you are on the Portland water system you will need to raise your gH.

My question is what do you have in the tank that is already giving you kH since the tap water here has none?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

calcium chloride - where to buy?

Thanks for the advice. I can handle epsom salts and baking soda but where oh where do I get calcium chloride? So Portland has some funky water, eh? I dont know where the kH is from but I have a kit that says it will turn yellow for the indicator - after one drop it was basically still clear and it took that second drop to give a definitive color change. Old pipes perhaps?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Old pipes will not add kH.

And the water is not funky, just pure.

How much calcium chloride do you want/need? I have sources in Portland in quantities from 1 lb to 50 lbs.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

cacl where to buy

I ended up finding some at the world of wet pets store in Beaverton. I paid $15 for a 200g container. I have to assume that you have found a better price if you can buy it by the pound. Please let me know where to go. Also, I dont have a scale for measuring grams. I have a 55 gallon aquarium and was wondering if you have a rough estimate in teaspoons of how much I would need. My gH was 2deg before adding anything to the water. I figure that I need about 12g cacl and 6g mgso4 to obtain a gH of around 5. Any suggested estimate in fractions of tablespoons?

Chrissy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You got RIPPED! It's like $1 a pound at most any home brew beer store in town. You can get Ice Melter for $7 for 12 lbs or I can get 50 lb bags for $20 or so.

You can get a nice digital gram scale from eBay for around $20.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode