Ph Swings? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ph Swings?

I have a PH swings from 6.4-6.5 during the day when CO2 is on, and a PH of 7.4 in the morning, CO2 is off overnight, is this OK?, or should i just leave the CO2 running but lower the bubble count so it's not much of a PH swings?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I leave my CO2 on constantly. I usualy get minor swings, nothing too bad.

"If music be the food of love; play on"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

I suppose that would be the logical way.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you have a solenoid valve on your regulator, why not use it to reduce the amount of CO2 you use? And, you greatly reduce the possibilities of overdosing CO2 for the fish. I'm not sure I would buy a separate solenoid, but my Milwaukee regulator has one that works very well.

Hoppy
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

My regulator has solenoid, i think i'll just lower the bubble count at night to prevent the huge PH swings.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Umm...pH swings due to CO2 play no role in anything fish or plant health wise that I or anyone else is aware of.

You do water changes right? What types of pH swings occur there?
Often 1 full unit. Fish are fine, so are plants.

So the entire baloney about pH swings is mere myth, not anything to do with fish health/plant health etc.

pH is simply used to measure CO2 along with KH.

We add CO2 for the plants, the plants only use CO2 during the day, there is no need to add it at night.

Neither myself nor Amano suggest adding it at night.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain
Umm...pH swings due to CO2 play no role in anything fish or plant health wise that I or anyone else is aware of.

You do water changes right? What types of pH swings occur there?
Often 1 full unit. Fish are fine, so are plants.

So the entire baloney about pH swings is mere myth, not anything to do with fish health/plant health etc.

pH is simply used to measure CO2 along with KH.

We add CO2 for the plants, the plants only use CO2 during the day, there is no need to add it at night.

Neither myself nor Amano suggest adding it at night.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

I agree completely with this...no need to worry about the "dreaded pH swing" of up to 1...only when the pH "crashes" is there need for worrying. Mine is 7.2 out of the tap...I inject down to 6.3...it rises up to about 6.8-6.9 before the co2 comes back on.

Re-boot!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it kind of shocked me when i tested the morning and afternoon PH, the swing was a full 1, i'm glad i don't have to adjust.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny
Yeah, it kind of shocked me when i tested the morning and afternoon PH, the swing was a full 1, i'm glad i don't have to adjust.
One more tidbit...my biggest concern was when I got my discus and the myth that water needs to be "aged" and the parameters in a water change barrel (trashcan) must match the tank...impossible to do if you inject co2. I noticed the past few weeks that my fish actually come up to the water spout from the barrel and "greet" the oncoming fresh water that is 1 unit above the norm. Almost appears if they're taking a shower? Kinda wierd, but if they're happy, I'm happy.

Re-boot!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

I think we worry to much about matching their water environment in the wild, and most of our fish are tank bred and expose to different types of water, some fish are very sensitive but i think most will take tap water. Same thing with my fish and very high level of co2, i've never seen them go to the top for air, but i also think that they should not be subjected to high level, you really don't want to punish them.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Anyone have any thoughts on matching GH and how a difference of 3 or 4 degrees is a shock to the fish or shrimp. I notice in water changes my shrimp start jeting around and the otos and some of the fish are agitated. I'm not sure if its happy agitation or the opposite? Just wondering here...

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

My ottos are super hyper, and those shrimps can run, don't know about the GH though.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 06:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
I noticed the past few weeks that my fish actually come up to the water spout from the barrel and "greet" the oncoming fresh water that is 1 unit above the norm. Almost appears if they're taking a shower? Kinda wierd, but if they're happy, I'm happy.
Mine do the same!

Yeah PH from tap can be as high as 7.6 pH in tank about 6.4 and after the 50% water change it's up to about 7.0 and then starts working down again. Never had a problem.

He said that he stopped using water conditioner recently. That's the first flag that raises to me when I read this. I've never heard of tap water that doesn't at least have Chlorine. Wouldn't one get sick drinking that if it were true?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode