H2O Parameters and CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
Red face H2O Parameters and CO2

Yeah, I know same old tired questions...who isn't tired of these posts when people won't read the appropriate material? Well I have but I still can't seem to figure it out..

Post - 50% H2O change:

pH 8.0
300 ppm KH
25ppm GH
0ppm Nitrite
20ppm Nitrate
0ppm Ammonia

(Pressurized CO2 added)

Now I should warn you that my water is EXTREMELY soft right out of the tap and the pH is always 8.0 right out of the tap. Weird huh? Anyway, the pH usually goes down with the addition of CO2 over the day to around 7.0 Here's my question: From the beginning of the week until Sunday when I do my water change my KH keeps going up and up and up..what can I do or should do to affect the CO2 levels to address this give the circumstances indicated above for my heavily planted tank??

Also as an aside, my fish (Serpae Tetras and Neons) tend to hide throughout the day and then appear when the lights are off; is my CO2 too high? I've no indications of gasping at the surface or anything which would appear to suggest that...my plants however are BEAUTIFUL and are growing like crazy even pearling beyond what I thought possible...

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
first off, pH right out of the tap is not your "actual pH". You need to let it sit out for 24 hours, and have an airstone running on it first. My tap water is 8.5 out of the tap, with a KH of 36ppm. I wait 24 hours and it drops to 7.3 pH.

You say your tap water is soft out of your tap. What is the basis for this? i.e. what is your KH out of the tap?

@ 300ppm KH, your pH should be at ~8.2.

What substrate do you have, what rocks do you have, etc?

Post the answer to your tap KH and the above and further analysis can be done.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:49 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
300ppm of Kh ain't exactly 'soft'

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 04:49 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
300 ppm KH is not soft, the 25 ppm GH is soft. Do you have a water report from your water company that might clue us in to why the KH is so high? You might want to have your water analyzed to find out whats in there. Then again, since your plants are doing well you might not want to bother. If you are worried about the fish hiding get some hatchet fish, or something that hangs out at the surface. The skittish fish will be calmed by the fish hanging out up top.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx
ok, here's the deal

I let my H2O sit for 24hrs. Here's the deal:

0ppm Nitrate
0ppm Nitrite
0ppm Ammonium
25ppm GH
300ppm KH
8.5 pH

So I don't know do I need to add some baking soda or something to my water to get it straight? I'm half way inclined to leave things be as you said Sean...(btw- my home is in Owings Mills, MD)...any suggestions, comments or questions are welcome! And I have no rockes of any kind in this tank, only Fluorite and plants, lots and lots of plants! LOL!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Baking soda would raise your KH. You don't want to do that. You could add some calcium and magnesium to up the GH. You should try to find out why your KH is so high. Try to get a water report. Many cities have them listed on thier websites. But if your plants are doing fine you might just want to leave it alone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode