Metricide conversion - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
aokashi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,511
Metricide conversion

Since I'm so terrible at math these days... can someone kindly tell me the dosage for metricide-14 that is equivalent to excel at 5ml/10 gallon?

I have a 1 gallon tank.

I did a search on it and after reading the threads, my brain feels like a ball of yarn after the cat had gotten to it...

Thanks in advance.
aokashi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Since I'm so terrible at math these days... can someone kindly tell me the dosage for metricide-14 that is equivalent to excel at 5ml/10 gallon?

I have a 1 gallon tank.

I did a search on it and after reading the threads, my brain feels like a ball of yarn after the cat had gotten to it...

Thanks in advance.

Hi aokashi,

Metricide 14 is 2.6% Glutaradehyde. Seachem Excel is 1.5% Glutaraldehyde.

2.88 ml of Metricide 14 is equal to 5 ml of Seachem Excel

Hope this helps!

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
m00se's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,484
http://rota.la/glut/

Make sure you thank "wet" for his efforts on these calculators. I didn't check to see if his calc did *1* gallon tanks but...anyways
m00se is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
aokashi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,511
Metricide conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi aokashi,

Metricide 14 is 2.6% Glutaradehyde. Seachem Excel is 1.5% Glutaraldehyde.

2.88 ml of Metricide 14 is equal to 5 ml of Seachem Excel

Hope this helps!
Thanks so much! Im still confused looking at the percentages XD

but taking your calculations...
so 2.88ml is about 57 drops...
and that makes the 1 gallon dosage to be ~6 drops?



Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
http://rota.la/glut/

Make sure you thank "wet" for his efforts on these calculators. I didn't check to see if his calc did *1* gallon tanks but...anyways
Thanks >.< but...
i feel kind of dumb.... couldn't figure out how to use the calc o_O


TT_TT sorry for the noobness...
aokashi is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Thanks so much! Im still confused looking at the percentages XD

but taking your calculations...
so 2.88ml is about 57 drops...
and that makes the 1 gallon dosage to be ~6 drops?
Correct. Do note that "drops" is a very inaccurate way to measure volume, as drop size can vary greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Thanks >.< but...
i feel kind of dumb.... couldn't figure out how to use the calc o_O


TT_TT sorry for the noobness...
You can use the formula m1v1 = m2v2
Where m1 = concentration of Metricide
v1 = volume of Metricide to be used
m2 = desired final concentration (Excel)
v2 = desired final volume

(2.6%)(x) = (1.5%)(Desired final volume)

So, say you want 5 mL

x = (1.5%)(5 mL)/(2.6%)
x = 2.88 mL, as noted above

Anthony


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Plant Clown
 
kevmo911's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 4,729
Or, put simply, mix about 10 parts Metricide to 7 parts distilled water.
kevmo911 is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Thanks so much! Im still confused looking at the percentages XD

but taking your calculations...
so 2.88ml is about 57 drops...
and that makes the 1 gallon dosage to be ~6 drops?
Hi aokashi,

1 teaspoon = 5 ml

5/8 teaspoon = 3.1 ml which is close enough

In conclusion; I would dose 5/8 teaspoon of Metricide 14 to equal 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of Excel.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
aokashi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Correct. Do note that "drops" is a very inaccurate way to measure volume, as drop size can vary greatly.


You can use the formula m1v1 = m2v2
Where m1 = concentration of Metricide
v1 = volume of Metricide to be used
m2 = desired final concentration (Excel)
v2 = desired final volume

(2.6%)(x) = (1.5%)(Desired final volume)

So, say you want 5 mL

x = (1.5%)(5 mL)/(2.6%)
x = 2.88 mL, as noted above
Ahhhhh high school math.... so that's what it was for! haha. thank you ^_^
I think going by drops is the most accuate i can go with such a small tank :3
well with your everyday household tools anyway :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Or, put simply, mix about 10 parts Metricide to 7 parts distilled water.
I think I missed something... can you explain to me why I need to distill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi aokashi,

1 teaspoon = 5 ml

5/8 teaspoon = 3.1 ml which is close enough

In conclusion; I would dose 5/8 teaspoon of Metricide 14 to equal 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of Excel.
o_O 5/8 of a teaspoon... what happens if I overdose this?
say... x2 rec dosage.
aokashi is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (65/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 6,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Ahhhhh high school math.... so that's what it was for! haha. thank you ^_^
I think going by drops is the most accuate i can go with such a small tank :3
well with your everyday household tools anyway :P


I think I missed something... can you explain to me why I need to distill?


o_O 5/8 of a teaspoon... what happens if I overdose this?
say... x2 rec dosage.
Hi aokashi,

I encourage you to acquaint yourself with the search function here at TPT. It is an excellent source of knowledge and most of your questions have been answered multiple times.

Here is an easy way to dose ml or fractions of ml:

Oral dose syringe available at your local pharmacy


There is no reason to dilute it with water, distilled or otherwise.

I dose Glutaraldehyde (the active ingredient in Excel and Metricide). I dose the Excel recommended 'Initial Dose' and the 'Daily Dose' at 2X the Excel recommended amount. Why? Because Glutaraldehyde has algacide properties.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
Seattle_Aquarist is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
aokashi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,511
Metricide conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi aokashi,

I encourage you to acquaint yourself with the search function here at TPT. It is an excellent source of knowledge and most of your questions have been answered multiple times.

Here is an easy way to dose ml or fractions of ml:

Oral dose syringe available at your local pharmacy


There is no reason to dilute it with water, distilled or otherwise.

I dose Glutaraldehyde (the active ingredient in Excel and Metricide). I dose the Excel recommended 'Initial Dose' and the 'Daily Dose' at 2X the Excel recommended amount. Why? Because Glutaraldehyde has algacide properties.
Thanks for the suggestion. is there a way to filter the threads? I come across a lot of algae threads and CO2 replacement info when I last searched.
hence I thought it would be faster to just simply post my own thread

I did read a thread detailing the conversion between excel and metricide a month or so back, but could not find it again. I remembered it claiming that metricide is 1.5 the strength of excel...

And guess what? I actually have syringes! I just never thought to use them for dosing purposes. lol
aokashi is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:23 PM
Plant Clown
 
kevmo911's Avatar
 
PTrader: (32/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Or, put simply, mix about 10 parts Metricide to 7 parts distilled water.
I was trying to help you avoid the math. As you know, Metricide is a bit stronger than Excel.

7 parts water (distilled water, from a gallon jug at the grocery store, instead of tap water) to 10 parts Metricide will give you the approximate concentration of Excel.

From there, just follow the instructions on the Excel bottle, which you can get from the Seachem site if you don't have a bottle.

So, 100mL Metricide and 70mL water.
Or 10oz Metricide and 7oz water (you can use a measuring cup).
Or 10 tablespoons Metricide and 7 tablespoons water.
Etc.
kevmo911 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zorfox's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 2,105
I like the no math method ^^^^. No chance of forgetting to carry the one and divide the *#%^....
Zorfox is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
aokashi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,511
Metricide conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
I was trying to help you avoid the math. As you know, Metricide is a bit stronger than Excel.

7 parts water (distilled water, from a gallon jug at the grocery store, instead of tap water) to 10 parts Metricide will give you the approximate concentration of Excel.

From there, just follow the instructions on the Excel bottle, which you can get from the Seachem site if you don't have a bottle.

So, 100mL Metricide and 70mL water.
Or 10oz Metricide and 7oz water (you can use a measuring cup).
Or 10 tablespoons Metricide and 7 tablespoons water.
Etc.
aha! makes so much more sense ^__^
Thank you :3
aokashi is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome