PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Measuring dosage

Ok using http://calc.petalphile.com/

55G DIY Dry Dosing EI

Says:
KNO3 2.546 g
KH2PO4 387 mg
Plantex CSM+B 1.594 g

My question is, how do I measure this? Measurements for water and a dry substance are different, what do I buy to accurately measure these out? Do I convert these to tsp? Especially confused about the 387 milligram. Not sure how I go about this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Re: Measuring dosage

Buy a scale....you can buy one on amazon for $20-$50. Just get one that goes out a couple decimals.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A gram scale? Is that the only way? That's a little expensive.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Re: Measuring dosage

You can use the bulk density to figure out the volume but for small amounts it will be a pain.

This is why most people on smaller tanks make up solutions that use a larger mass/volume of material so they can add teaspoons, etc.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok well a bunch of people here use the ferts from aquariumfertilizer.com so at least one person here knows how to do it right?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The easiest way to be exact is to use a scale. That said there's no way to be exactly perfect when dealing with these dry fertilizers. The dry fertilizers contain salts which absorb water. This means my bag may have a different concentration than yours. Luckily with the EI method the margin for error is pretty large. Basically we're already adding excess nutrients which is why we "start over" each week by doing a large water change.

Without a scale you would have to know the weight of a teaspoon for each fertilizer. In the case of KH2PO4 one teaspoon weighs 5,600mg. How do I know this? I cheated. Here is a page used by a dosage calculator. It has the weight of each fertilizer converted to teaspoons. Much easier than converting the g/ml for each chemical lol.

Using that weight divide your dose, 387mg into 5,600mg. There are 14.5 doses in a teaspoon. Now you can do one of two things. Divide the one teaspoon into 14.5 doses or mix one teaspoon into a bottle of water and separate the volume of water into 14.5 doses. Ignoring the half dose, since EI is overdosing anyway, add one teaspoon to 70ml of water. Each dose will now be 5ml which is much easier than measuring out 387mg of a fertilizer every other day.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
A gram scale? Is that the only way? That's a little expensive.
on amazon.com you can get a good one for under $20

-

--

---I like fish. They don't talk back, bark or pee on the floor.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
You have to remember, it's not an exact science. Just get a cheap one that goes to one decimal point. 0.1 gram isn't going to make or break your tank. I measure mine out into a 14 day pill organizer.

When I'm setting it up every other Sunday, my wife jokes that I look like a drug dealer.

My scale was $9 and I've had the same one for 6 years!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I put teaspoons or tablespoons into 2 liter bottles of water, then dose each tank based on its size using a turkey baster or syringe (no needle) to get the right ml for each tank. The turkey baster I found has ml marked on it. The syringe barrels are marked in ml, also.
For aquarium fertilizers if I can get it to the right ml that is quite accurate enough for me.

I use the smaller syringe barrels marked down to the .1ml for other uses, like portioning out flea control drops.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileynapalm View Post
on amazon.com you can get a good one for under $20
That's expensive I don't have any money right now. I can barely get these ferts and refill my 5gal CO2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post

Using that weight divide your dose, 387mg into 5,600mg. There are 14.5 doses in a teaspoon. Now you can do one of two things. Divide the one teaspoon into 14.5 doses or mix one teaspoon into a bottle of water and separate the volume of water into 14.5 doses. Ignoring the half dose, since EI is overdosing anyway, add one teaspoon to 70ml of water. Each dose will now be 5ml which is much easier than measuring out 387mg of a fertilizer every other day.
Thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalyx View Post
Ok using http://calc.petalphile.com/

55G DIY Dry Dosing EI

Says:
KNO3 2.546 g
KH2PO4 387 mg
Plantex CSM+B 1.594 g

My question is, how do I measure this? Measurements for water and a dry substance are different, what do I buy to accurately measure these out? Do I convert these to tsp? Especially confused about the 387 milligram. Not sure how I go about this...
EI was NEVER meant to be this tough or precise.

With good reason.

To a 55 gallon tank:
I'd add about 1/2 teaspoon of KNO3, 1/8th of the KH2PO4, about 1 teaspoon of GH booster 2-3x a week.
Generally 2x a week is fine.

Traces, I've always used liquids, and add the following generalized mix:
6 teaspoons of CMB+B and 500 mls of hot water and a few mls of excel(kills any fungus).

I've altered this and use 4 teaspoons of CMS and then 1 teaspoon of Fe gluconate and 1 teaspoon of DTPA Fe in place of the 2 missing teaspoons of CMS.

I'd dose about 15 mls of this 3-5x a week.

That's it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode