So I just went pressurized and my KH dive bombed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I just went pressurized and my KH dive bombed

I got a pressurized CO2 system for Christmas and I've been tinkering with it, fine tuning it so my otos are not gasping (strange that only one oto is gasping while the other otos and neons are not). My KH before going pressurized was about 12-13 and with pressurized is 2. My GH stayed the same and my pH says 7.4 on a high end pH test (I should pick up a low range one). Someone told me that the KH dropped because of the carbonate...which I don't really get...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
The CO2 should not have had any effect on your kh. Something else is screwy there. Make sure your kits are all ok, and your testing is accurate.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 04:21 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 can eat Kh, but it takes MONTHS of no water changes. A week of even high CO2 dosing would not eat 10dKh.

Either your kit is bad, you messed up the test, or something else is altering your water chemistry.

Using tap water? What does the tap water test at?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Are you sure about the KH reading? 12-13°dKH seems REALLY high to me and I live in an area with 'liquid rock' for water. I've heard that KH tests expire quickly, perhaps a new test kit would help?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Definately get an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals KH test kit. They are cheap at big Als online. THe CO2 concentration is based upon the ratio of KH (your water's temporary hardness or carbonate hardness) and your water's pH. Something is out of wack in those numbers, it would seem. Yes, KH can be depleted by CO2, but that is something that folks with soft water tend to have to deal with. You can figure out your CO2 concentration (ppm) by looking at one of the CO2 charts. For example, a KH of 4.5 and pH of 6.6 yields a dissolved ppm CO2 of 33.9 which is a nice target level. One can get there with different pH and KH levels, but 7.4 pH will contain very little dissolved CO2. Here is a link to a valuble resource: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/articles.htm

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode