Reduce plants = reduce ferts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to otter
Reduce plants = reduce ferts?

I started out with anacharis and hygro (mainly) because I wanted easy fast growing plants until I started to get a feel for what I was doing. Well, they completely overgrow the tank on a weekly basis now, even though I still have some algae issues. The anacharis gets so long it lays across half the tank and the hygro is so thick you can't tell any fish are in there and it has ugly straggly white roots shooting off 3/4 of the way up many of the plants. I've been transplanting anacharis to my brackish tank a little every weeekend. I want to radically thin out the hygro and the anacharis. Should I also cut backs on ferts when I do this? What about when you just rearrange the tank but don't cut back on quantity? Does moving the plants cause them to be in "shock" and use less ferts which might contribute to algae? For a while I was moving plants every weekend and I wonder if this contributed to algae because nothing was stabilized. It seems everything is exploding in growth but I now have hair algae starting up again... I suppose that's another thread though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
if you cut back on plants no doubt cut back on ferts...make sure to test your nitrates...cause if the plants are not their to obsorb them then alge will gladly eat them up
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you use the EI method of fertilizing I wouldn't change the amount of KNO3 and KH2PO4 plus micros being used. The weekly 50% water change resets the levels low enough to prevent any real problems from developing. I am assuming that you are using adequate CO2 injection too. Overfertilizing alone, within reason, won't cause algae. But lack of CO2, irregular CO2, or NH4 sure will.

Hoppy

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to otter
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to stick with the quantities that I've been dosing and keep testing and see what happens, thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode