Collecting Rain Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Collecting Rain Water

My water in my area is really hard, and I don't want to burn through RO/DI filters.

Does anyone collect rainwater off of their roof? Are there too many chemicals leeched out of there to make a difference?

What steps do you take to treat it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 04:52 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you live near a city where your rain water is going to be polluted, it might be a bad idea. Shingles also have lots of tar and chemicals that are great for killing fish and plants. Same goes for aluminum rain gutters and even worse if you still have the old steel gutters.

Rain can also be an unpredictable source of water. If it doesn`t rain for a few weeks, what are you going to do for a water source?

IMO it`s probably easier to choose you tank inhabitants (both flora and fauna) to match the water conditions you have out of your tap.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I tried to collect rain water, but it ran off all yellow and was filled with scum. Funny because my gutters are clean. I usually buy distilled water since I pretty much never change my water and use it only to top off my open tops (and no R/O, either). With a very light fish load and lots of plants, it can be done. Wal-Mart (If you aren't boycotting them because of their deplorable fish conditions) has distilled water for 68 cents a gallon, and they come in convenient three packs. During the winter I just collect a bunch of freshly fallen snow.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wookiellmonster
Acid Rain..can kill ur inhabitants also. Just somethin i read in 7th grade science class.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode