Discus tank setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Discus tank setup

Hi all. I was just hopin to get ideas from anybody on the best route to go for setting up a discus tank. I have a standard 90 gallon tank with a Rena XP3 and the ahsupply 4x55 bright kit. I also have a powerhead to get a little more flow in the tank. Right now the tank has SA chiclids which have done really well but I would like to switch to discus and get some shrimp in the tank. I plan to move the SA's to a little smaller tank. My primary question is the best way to do it. Some people recommend RO some say I'd be ok without it. I do have the culligan water softening system hooked up. My water has a GH of about 150 and, KH of around 4.5 and a pH of around 7.5 before CO2 injection and down to about 6.7 with CO2. Should I still go with RO? Most seem to say like 50-50 or 75 RO 25 tap. Would that be enough to add the trace elements I need to keep them happy and my plants happy? Also I know discus prefer a pH nearer 6.5. Should I achieve this simply through my pressurized CO2 injection or would I need to treat the water to get it down there? Basically I am looking for any advice or suggestions or whatever tidbits I can get before I decide what to do. Thank so much for all the help.

Raz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
no ro needed and dont treat the water to further lower the ph. discus are happy in 7.4 or maybe a lil more ph. id suggest to u to set it up as a planted tank first, experiment with the amount of ferts, co2 levs and once uve got that set and the plants have been growing for a few weeks to months, check the water to make sure it can accomodate discus. then add discus. harder if u put discus in the beggining and start ur planted tank. will stress out ur fish when u first experiment with ferts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
When you say check your water to see if it can accomodate them what exactly are you refering to? My tank has been set up for years and the plants have been growing for a few weeks. One thing that I find kind of weird is that my KH had been consistently 4.5 for the last week but when I checked it few minutes ago it was 10.6. I never added anything to the water~what would make this change so much? Also I check phosphates for the first time today and it was around .5 Thanks again!

Raz

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 06:31 AM
Everyone has an opinion

PTrader: (88/100%)
What type of discus are you planning on getting, 1"-2", 2"-3", etc? Makes a huge difference. If you cannot commit to 4 or 5 feedings a day do not get smaller that 3". PH level is not that big a deal as long as you provide a stable PH, no wide swings. I would recommend using RO water, discus need hardness to be as low as possible. Water quality is the key to keeping discus healthy/happy. Most discus keepers have not had much luck keeping shrimp in the tank including myself, as one has said "discus sushi". If this is your first time with discus, try growing out some smaller ones in your other tank, keep it bare bottom, easier to keep clean. Then you can transfer them when the 90 is matured. I know nothing about your filter, do not know if it will be adequate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I wholeheartedly agree with the above...first get a good handle on how to successfully run a planted tank...keeping in mind dosing, temperature, growth rates, co2, lighting, etc. Its pretty difficult to get a planted tank running with little or no problems...once you can "master" that...get the discus...I woud suggest 3+ size as Diablo mentioned...4 in if you can find/afford them--also from a good breeder rather than your LFS.

I've actually noticed that my plant growth has slowed down a tad with the temperature increase by 10 degrees (from 78 to 88), and some plants don't seem to like the hot water.

Shrimp in the tank is your call. So far mine don't care about my cherry shrimp...population numbers seem to be the same.

Re-boot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode