CO2 Confusion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 Confusion

My tank is 30G with pressurised CO2 and DIY external reactor.
For testing the Ph I use a Milwaukee ph51 portable meter, Sera ph test and Hagen ph test.
For Kh I use a Sera and a Red Sea test kits.

When I test the ph and Kh I get:
Ph=6.2 +- 0.1
Kh=4
From the chart the CO2 should be between 95-60ppm considering the +-0.1 accuracy of the ph meter. However with this high CO2 the fish and shrimps are doing fine, although the gills of my blue rams move very fast, I donít know if this is a sign of high co2, so I guess something is messed up with my water. I contacted my local water supply company but the can not give me an analysis of the tab water. I left a glass of the tank water to aerate for 24 hours and I checked the ph and it was 7.4. that is 1.3 drop!!!!!!!! Tab water ph is 7.3 after letting it rest for 24 hours and Kh 4.
During the night I turn off the CO2 injection and I have an air stone running for supplying oxygen to the fish during the night. In the morning before turning on the lights and the CO2 the ph is 7.1
My main problem is GSA that refuses to go away. I dose 3ppm PO4 3xweek and it is still there. So I guess the problem is the CO2. I am injecting around 2-3 bps of CO2 which I believe it is too much for a 30G tank.

Any comments on these two posts?
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00110.html
http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plant.../msg00119.html

can the KH2PO4 or fleet affect the ph or Kh reading.
What signs of stress should I look on the fish for high CO2 other that gasping near the surface?

Last edited by sllo; 12-05-2005 at 11:03 AM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode