What makes my tapwater a blueish color? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
What makes my tapwater a blueish color?

I have noticed that when I fill a white 5-gallon plastic pail, the water has a blueish tint to it. I used to put Start Right crystals in the bucket before filling it with water (they are blueish-purple), so I never noticed it before. Now I am using Prime, which is clear, and even before I put that in the water, it looks blue. Is this the normal color of water (like the ocean), or is there something there that I should ask the county water department about? Correct me if I am wrong, but I could have sworn clean water is supposed to be colorless...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
What kind of lighting are you viewing that water under?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
pour the water in a clean clear glass. If the water is still blue I probably wouldn't be drinking it. My guess is that it is the bucket and how the light reflects of the bottom and sides or the lighting in the room you are doing it. If it looks clear in a glass or your tank I wouldn't worry about it.

Retired 2003

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
When I used to use several different 5 gal buckets I noticed that water would be clear in some and have a blue tint in others. As has been said, it's highly likely that it's the bucket.

Seemed like the whiter and newer the bucket, the bluer the water.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's a plain white 5-gallon HDPE paint pail from Home Depot - they sell them clean and new for $3.99; I have a whole stack of them for water changes and so forth. The lights in the bathroom are two plain 60-watt tungsten incandesecent light bulbs, and two 6500k Lights of America CF bulbs (who but nuts like us would know this about our lights, right? My point is that the pail is white before the water goes in, and as the pail fills up, I can look down through the water at the bottom of the pail, and the bottom looks bluer and bluer as it fills up with water, so it really does seem as if it's the water that's blue, and not the pail.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is the water really blue or does it just appear blue? Do you drink the blue water? Is it clear when you put it in a glass container? If the water is blue looking at it through a clear glass I would get concerned.

White reflects all colors, and water refracts light. The blue spectrum is what is escaping the water in the bucket so it may appear blue to the eye.

Retired 2003
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 12:54 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
I was in Las Vegas, NV a month ago. I filled up the bath tub and the water was blue; white tub and no blue lighting. I think it must be something some citys add to their water that gives it a blue tint.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I experience the same thing when I mix up water change water. It is the bucket!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Algae Grower

Could it be copper in the water? Either that or those crystals you were using contaminated the buckets.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 02:17 AM

its the water

I say it is the water. Not the bucket, not the lighting. The ocean is blue, clear lakes are blue.

When I aged water for my discus in a large white container, it was blue. In my white bucket it is blue.

Now, I do wonder if this is due to looking down on the water and not through the water, as in a clear glass, but it does require a lot of water for the blue to accumulate enough to notice it. 12 to 14 inches will show blue, ceartainly 3' shows a ot of blue, like the big barrel I had, but an inch or two will not show blue.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Ozone also tends to add a blue tint. Does your water supplier use chlorine or chloramine or ozone? Ozone is the most expensive, but a few suppliers might be using it to treat for microorganisms.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinjector

I have noticed that when I fill a white 5-gallon plastic pail, the water has a blueish tint to it. I used to put Start Right crystals in the bucket before filling it with water (they are blueish-purple), so I never noticed it before. Now I am using Prime, which is clear, and even before I put that in the water, it looks blue. Is this the normal color of water (like the ocean), or is there something there that I should ask the county water department about? Correct me if I am wrong, but I could have sworn clean water is supposed to be colorless...
You might have smurfs stuck somewhere in your plumbing.

Regards,
Barry

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
Ozone also tends to add a blue tint. Does your water supplier use chlorine or chloramine or ozone? Ozone is the most expensive, but a few suppliers might be using it to treat for microorganisms.
Kevin
I would think it's chlorine or chloramine. I live near Buffalo, and our water comes right from Lake Erie, and our water system feeds like most of this end of the state. To ozonate that much water would be a teensie bit expensive. :-)

BUT - I think I will call and found out just for educational purposes.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banderbe
You might have smurfs stuck somewhere in your plumbing.
AWESOME! Maybe they can show me the way to where they hide their little mushroom houses in the woods...
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode