i am so confused, beginner - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
i am so confused, beginner

I am so confused on the fertilizing and dosing of my tank, i will be filling my tank in about 2 weeks, well as soon as i get all of my additives ordered and here and all of my plants here and aquascaped, first i have read a thousand posts and it seems like each one is different, the stuff they use and how much different ppm's etc, i do know each tank is different of course, but, i do plan on ordering dry stuff from greg watson as it seems that would be the cheapest route for my 300 gallon planted tank, but yet i still do not know what i need to order, if anybody could help me figuring out what i need and what i need to done and what i need to keep my ppm's for all of my parameters at would be awesome, it is a high light co2 injected tank and if the price is right when i order myy plants it will be a heavily planted tank, thanks jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

50%H20 change
1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week
6ml Trace 3x a week
1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week

that is a recomendation for a person that needed help dosing stuff, isnt 3 of those pottasium? Dont i need phosphorous, magnesium and nitrogen and also iron and calcium? Why 3 different types of pottasium?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

also which are macros and which are micros? remember i am fertilizer stupid.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
50%H20 change
1/4Tsp-KN03 3x a week -source of nitrate (Depending on fish load my not need as much)
1/16+Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek -source of phospate
1/16+Tsp K2S04 3x a week -source of potassium
6ml Trace 3x a week -trace
1-2ml Fe/Iron 3x a week -Iron

I use MGSO4 at WC not sure if many ppl do but I have had no problems.

Use chuck gadd's calc to see if those ammounts are really what you need.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm
-SYMPTOMS OF NUTRIENT DEFICIENCY IN AQUATIC PLANTS (srry caps cpy and paste)

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm
-calculator for ferts

You might want to order a small digital scale off of ebay too it really helps and they are cheap. and those little spoons from gregg watson's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired 2003
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The levels you quoted seemed extremely low for a 300gal tank try these:

H2O Change 30-50% Have fun with that on a 300gal
100g MgSo4
25g KNo3
4g KH2P04
50g K2S04
1/2-3/4 tsp Fe10%
Divide above in half and dose mid-week between waterchanges. (except Fe)
CSMB (Trace)3x/week on alternateing days from macro dose

That is what i dose in my 110gal just higher amounts because of your volume.
Remeber all tanks are different, you may not need or may need more of one type or another. So be sure you have a test kit on hand once you get started.

BTW the target levels on the clac are just a guide, and a little out-dated.
Nitrate 10-15ppm target
PO4 2-4ppm target

Retired 2003
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

water change is automated so its easy, also which ones are macros and which ones are micros? Also dont i have t o done on a staggered scedule? micros on monday macros on tuesday micros on wednesday......? Also i have dosing pumps, how do i mix these to use with a dosing pump?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

100g MgSo4
25g KNo3
4g KH2P04
50g K2S04
I take it these are all macros?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

For automated dosing you will have to use the clac and figure how much volume your auto doser will hold and how much of each mixture it will have to add. You may have to adjust what you dose from week to week as plants grow and what type of plants you have. ie most red plants like Fe but need lower NO3 to keep the reds really red. IMHO I would manually measure and dose untill you figure it out a little more.
Automated waterchanges you suxorz

Trace & Fe =Micro
Rest = Macro

Every other day for macro dosing is excessive IME and is harder to mannage.

Retired 2003
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Example using Chuck's Calc.
mixing 20g KH2PO4 into 500ml of water.
1ml of this solution being put into a planted tank of 300gal will raise PO4 .02ppm
so to hit ~3ppm PO4 you will need to add 150ml of that solution to get ~3ppm PO4

traget/ml of solution wil raise xppm = total to add

Retired 2003
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

man you are tons of help, thank you so much
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Man that calc by chuck is awesome, an answer to my prayers, i think with that i can figure it out if i knew what all the ppms should be held at for everything
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Wow, i think i have figured it out, i get my tank filled up and test all nutrients in water, then ive heard not to dose macros for a few days till plants stablize? is this correct? then i check all parameters in tank and add all of my macros to get to the target ppm, then next day i add micros to target ppm, then next day i test water and see how much off each macro i need to add and keep track off the amounts, next day do the same with micos and so on, after a week or two of dosing i can get an average use per day of each nutrient and then i can set my dosing pumps to administer that amount of nutrients and of course micros on one day and macros the next, wow what a day!!! Tell me if i'm wrong please.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I typically wait 4days to a week before starting a solid fert regimen in any of my tanks. Have CO2 running full though.

Other than that looks like you got it down, it's not an exact science although some people will say it is. But in the 5yrs I have been keeping planted tanks and following this hobby I find fertilizing is done more to respond to plant's needs more so than part of a routine. And you will find out what your tank needs as it matures. If you notice some plants doing well and another just struggling you know you have to adjust something, it may be location (lighting issue) or it is not receiving enough of a particular nutrient. The other link I added for is a nice tool for determining if you need to get more of one kind of nutrient to a plant. Remember root feeders can show the same symptoms but they get the majority of their nutrients from the substrate. So you may need to give them root tabs or jobe sticks. Even with 100% fluorite I like to add a stick to my crypt patch, amazon swords, and a few under my hairgrass field.

Retired 2003
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

So i figured out wehich things i need to order from greg watson and is as follows
kh2p04
k2s04
kn03
mgs04
csm+b plantex
iron chelate 10%

so how much of each of these do you think i will need to order to last me 6 months? thanks again dissident
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

kh2p04 -2lb
k2s04 -6lb
kn03 -4lb
mgs04 -6lb
csm+b plantex -2lb
iron chelate 10% -2lb

That should last you a while, might want to get the spoons from Mr. W too I like having them. Look at ebay for a inexpensive scale (digital).

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...7&PRODID=60178
The 3qt jars are nice for storage, I got 7 from them a while back, they package them well, and they are air-tight and moisture proof, they looknice too.. ask Mr. W for some extra labels for them and he will send some he's a great guy (or make your own).

Now you should have everything you need and a good place to store them.

Retired 2003

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode