Does one match up PH with or without CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does one match up PH with or without CO2?

So I have a new planted tan, 30G, about 2 weeks old. Planning to add CO2 this week. My tap water is 7.4PH. I am planning to add tertas that need 5.5 to 6.5 PH. I read that adding C02 will bring the PH down? Is that correct to say that?

So.. to take measurement of PH for my fish.. do I have to match the PH without CO2 in my tank or its ok for lower PH but with CO2?

Also, anybody has used seachem acid buffer to lower the PH? Is it stable to use in the long run or cause swings?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 09:49 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Most fish these days are no longer wild caught and are captive bred instead (though it depends on the species). This means that they are usually quite comfortable in water that does not necessarily meet their "ideal" demands.

Adding CO2 will decrease your pH. Lowering it in this way is fine for your fish. I would say dropping it to even 6.8 or 6.9 would be fine. You can only dissolve so much CO2 into the water column before the fish start showing signs of CO2 toxicity.

Also, I would stay away from chemical buffers that try to change the pH. These will only increase your TDS, and you will be constantly adding chemicals to try to decrease the pH, leading to wild pH swings (which are more harmful to fish than a steady pH).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
KH would be a much more relevant parameter than pH, since the pH moves a full unit or more with CO2 enrichment.

KH is the same.

These fish come from lower KH systems, but as mentioned, they are generally tank bred, cardinals are not, they tend to be wild collected.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

last time I measured, KH was 4. Is that good or low?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode