Total n00b to planted tanks and have some question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Total n00b to planted tanks and have some question.

To start off I'll give y'all some basic info about my planted tank.

10 gallon with Red Fluorite substrate and Black Diamond sand. It's got a Marina brand S-10 filter, with Blue-Bon Filter Pad to help filter out the dust from the Red Flourite and Black Diamond fine granules.

I purchased a Deep Blue replacement hood that has a T5 bulb and a moon light LED.

I have a hydrokable heater, I do not have the thermostat that you are supposed to use, the in tank thermometer says that it's ~78 degrees in there.
If you click this link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing

It's a spread sheet to my Fish Tank Parameters, it has all of my plants listed there and some information about them.

I do not plan to go with a C02 system at this time. I purchased some Flourish Excel today and added 1 capful as the bottle said to do.

I guess the questions I have are:

-Since I brought the plants home and planted them, I don't know why but they don't look as good as they did in the fish store. Why is that?

-Does the Flourish Excel really work? How much should I use? Daily? Every other day?

-Do I need to do water changes? If so, how often?

-How long do I need to run my lights? If I run them longer than you recommend, what are the repercussions of this?

Is there any good advice you can give me as a total n00b to planted tanks

Thanks for reading, with lots of love,

Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 04:15 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill View Post
-Since I brought the plants home and planted them, I don't know why but they don't look as good as they did in the fish store. Why is that?
Some plants will die back/melt a bit when they are subjected to shock/stress such as transplantation.

Alternatively, some plants that you can purchase from the fish store have been grown emersed, and will require some time to transition to their submersed form.

Quote:
-Does the Flourish Excel really work? How much should I use? Daily? Every other day?
Yes, it works as a reasonable substitute for CO2. You should use it everyday, as per instructions. On the water change day, you do not need to use the increased dosage that is written in the instructions.

Quote:
-Do I need to do water changes? If so, how often?
Yes, you will have to do water changes. There are many factors that will determine how often you will need to do water changes; for example, for people using the Estimative Index method of dosing, 50% water changes are required on a weekly basis. In general, the more often you can manage water changes, the better.

I would say no less than 25% water changes on a biweekly (once every 2 weeks) basis would be a good figure to start at.

Quote:
-How long do I need to run my lights? If I run them longer than you recommend, what are the repercussions of this?
Most people recommend anywhere from 6 to 10 hours, and no more. 8 hours seems to be a good number. If you run them longer, you may encounter algal problems.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thank you for the reply.

I have one more question.

Will the Flourish Excel effect the PH of my tank?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
As long as your water is buffered and your kH is stable Excel will have minimal impact on lowering you pH. How ever if say you have super soft water kH of say less than 3 degrees breathing on your fish tank can cause a pH swing. Check your kH/gH and let us know and we will better be able to tell.

29g Tetra Tank
100g Planted Angel/Clown Loach
I can't spell...Im an engineer, I do math
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Thank you for the reply.

I have one more question.

Will the Flourish Excel effect the PH of my tank?
According to the Seachem website, Excel will have no effect on pH.

Quote:
Flourish Excel is not carbon dioxide and there is no impact on pH using Flourish Excel.
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel.html

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode