Urgent help - started DIY CO2; very murky water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Urgent help - started DIY CO2; very murky water

Hello,

Just started DIY CO2 yesterday and I've come home from work today and the tank is like pea soup.

Fish seem fine but what is causing my water to get worse?

It was slightly off colour before but now it is terrible.

Should I stop the CO2?

Thanks is advance.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Co2 exploded?

Pea soup in terms of green, cloudy or Peasoup in terms of cloudy, white?

If its green you might have something called greenwater. Usually associated with a bacterial bloom (cloudy, white water the day or two before) then green the next day.

If its peasoup cloudy white then:

Did you're DIY co2 explode in your tank? That's my first thought if you added nothing but the DIY co2. I would recheck the co2 lines to make sure the yeast solution didn't siphon or leak into your tank. Change 50% of the water, and continue to do so until the water clears over 1-2 days.

Good luck, sounds like you have a mess on your hands!

the KIDD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'd say it is cloudy white tonight. The water used to have a light green tint to it but it is definitely white now.

I'll take the CO2 line out later and check it. I'm not overly happy with the set up as the Sera CO2 reactor I'm using doesn't allow for a gradual feed into the tank. The CO2 is building up and then coming out in one huge bubble.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've done a water change but there is very little improvement.

The water seemed to be a bit frothy as it came out the tank. Frothed on the surface of the water in the tank and in the bucket as it came out the syphon.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:32 PM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just currious - from my home brew days...

How full were your diy reactors (2 liter bottle?)
How large is your bubble counter?

A lot of time, especially at the begging of a batch, bubbles from the beer would foam, fill up the reactor and go into the airlock. In worse case situations it would blow the water out of the airlock, or even blow off the airlock (if it clogged).

In our case the "airlock" is either your bubble counter or your tank. Two quick fixes were to not fill the carboy as much (your reactor), so the foam would not reach the top, or use a larger airlock (bubble counter) to catch the foam. My personal favorite (for beer) was to use a larger hose (foam would not travel up a 1" hose) - but not sure how that applies to aquariums yet.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc
How full were your diy reactors (2 liter bottle?)
How large is your bubble counter?
I was using a 1.5 litre bottle as I didn't have any 2 litre. The bottle was just under half full. AFAIK, this mix didn't foam up to get into the pipe but this could be the case. I think I could see something dripping slowly into the reactor - thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

The Sera reactor is probably about 4 inches long. I don't think that is up to the task and I've received the Hagen ladder in the post today so will get that set up (with a 2 litre bottle).
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should add that I accidently left two of the tank lights off today. The only light that was on was the standard Aqua One middle tube.

I'd removed the DIY CO2 last night as it seemed to be causing trouble.

Came home this evening and the tank water is very nice and clear.

So, it looks like I have too much light in the tank and perhaps not enough CO2?

Will work on setting up the DIY CO2 again tomorrow or on the weekend using the Hagen ladder and a bigger bottle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic
So, it looks like I have too much light in the tank and perhaps not enough CO2?
Will work on setting up the DIY CO2 again tomorrow or on the weekend using the Hagen ladder and a bigger bottle.
In all likelyhood it was your co2, the yeast stuff was probably getting sloshed around by your reactor as it went into the tank. Now that you have the hagen ladder you probably won't have a problem with cloudiness. I don't think light really has anything to do with this situation, just a confounding factor. But we'll see...let us know how your new diy co2 goes for you.

Best of Luck

the KIDD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode