PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 help needed

I've used this recipe that I was given in another post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbennett
DIY CO2 Recipe (lasts 1 month):
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp Champagne yeast (go to beer or winemaking supply shop)
water
How long does it take for things to start happening?

Also, should the Sera CO2 reactor that I am using to disperse the CO2 be totally submersed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 01:21 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I found that beer and wine (champagne) yeast did not like baking soda. Bread yeast does like baking soda. You can add 1/8 teaspoon bread yeast to the mix you have now and it ought to work.

I suspect the champagne yeast is fine in acidic water but not in basic water for brewers try to acidify their grape juice before brewing to keep bad bacteria from growing and spoiling the wine. OTOH, bread is often made with baking soda and the bread yeast is fine with that.

You ought to see some small amount of foam almost right away. Actual bubbles in less than an hour. If you do not see anything in the bottle, then your yeast may be bad,or the water temp may have been too hot and killed it.

If you see foam in the bottle but no bubbles going into the fish tank, suspect a leak somewhere. Check all connections. I was sucessful fixing leaks using Liquid Nails (clear caulk like stuff from hardware store) on the outside of connections that were actively leaking, assuming they are totally dry of course. You may want to clean an area with alcohol if it is damp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode