Plant/water puzzle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Plant/water puzzle

Iím having an issue that I feel must be linked to a water parameter or nutrient but I cannot for the life of me determine what it is.

I have a very well maintained 20H planted tank with all the essentials, compressed CO2, 3.4 wpg, 100% eco-complete substrate etc. We have well water that is very soft (~2dh KH, GH) so with every water change I add a little CaCl2 and Epson salt to get the GH up to around 4.5dh, the KH in the tank usually hangs around 3dh without any additives. I dose NO3 to 15ppm, PO4 to 1ppm, and ~7ppm potassium 3 times a week and do a 50% water change once a week. CSM+B is dosed daily. Tank Ph hangs around 6.4-6.6.

It seems like plants should grow well and some do. Glosso grows like a weed, so does hair grass. My crypt wendtii also does fine, but my stem plants donít. D. diandra grows but does not flourish; it seems to grow only from the top and the bottom part of the stem slowly dies away. It also seems very fragile and breaks easily. Rotala wallichii does not grow at all, though it tries hard. When first planted it will sprout new shoots and even grow a couple of inches of new growth but then quits and slowly dies. Many times it will start several new shoots before it finally dies. Also, in contrast to the other plants, the stem plants do not root well if at all.

My (current) theory is this: because we have well water it may contain in excess or totally lack a particular element. Many people have water with very high iron; however, we do not and experience none of the typical indicators. But our water does contain fairly high copper as we can tell by the blue stains in the bath tub etc. So my theory is perhaps the high copper or lack of other trace nutrient is causing the problem. I have decided to try Flourish for my trace nutrient supplement for awhile because I thought that it may have something CSM lacks. It also contains much less copper.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
I would be very grateful for any input.

-Andrew

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments for this is man's all.
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode