Understanding Uptake of NPK - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Understanding Uptake of NPK

I am working on a bit of a project here.

If we look at uptake of macro nutrients throughout the week. Lets say we express uptake as percentage of dosage. For example: If I dose 100ppm of N in my aquarium and at the end of the week my reading is 70ppm, then we can say that we have 30% uptake.

How does this percentage vary from macro to macro? Are you finding that you have a certain percentage of uptake across NPK, or are you finding that each nutrient has a different percentage?

What is your current uptake percentage in your tank?

The goal of this is to categorize uptake into 3 categories: Low, Medium, High. To accomplish this, please include your percent of uptake and your tank setup.

The outcome of this will be great for all of us when I am finished with my project.

Trust me.

Thanks

jB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 09:12 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Each nutrient's uptake can be different in the same set of light. Sometimes plants do take in excess to store within their leaves.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I found that availability of one nutrient affects uptake of another. For example, I dosed to levels of 10 ppm NO3 and 0.5 ppm PO4. After 3 days, I sometimes found that NO3 had bottomed out, and PO4 was still going strong, and vice versa. Now I know uptake a little better for my tanks, and don't have to test as much.

It will be difficult to measure uptake of K

Sorry for not being more helpful, but I trust that the outcome of your project will greatly enhance our hobby!

(Is it the NPK pill that dissolves over the course of a week?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode