29 Gal Dosing Regime - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
29 Gal Dosing Regime

Ok, I have read and read but I still don't know exactly what to dose.

I have stump remover for nitrogen, enema for phosphate, tropica master grow, and K2SO4. Do I need anything else?

My tank:
29 gal
65 watts
will be starting to add co2 this week (been saying that for weeks)

I need to know how much I should add in tsp. and how often.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Craig,

Help this gal out...you have some good nfo posted on your "dosing regime" about fleet and stump remover, but even I could'nt translate

As far as a basic schedule...I have the same setup on a spare tank: 29g, 65w, but pressurized co2. You can and will grow anything...don't listen to the others about "the bulb not covering the whole tank, 65w not strong enough, blah blah blah". Things will be fine...but a key will be that CO2. Dosing will be much simpler for you and growth will be decent (a good trim every 2 weeks or so is all it will take).

As far as getting the schedule down, I really do hope Craig can chime in since I have no clue how to dose fleet and stump...but in general, you'll do macros (fleet and stump) on Sunday--if that's your water change day. Monday will be 5 mL of TMG (I say less because of the lower wattage), Tuesday more of the macros, Wednesday TMG, etc.

Re-boot!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Yep, just seen this thread, but have to run out the door, I will catch it tonigfht when I return..
I run a 29g, with 65watt fixture, lots of C02 nutrient's etc..run's great...

got to go,

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here ya go...Craig, will chime in later, lets see if he follows this routine...

Day 1: water change...1/2 teaspoon Stump remover, 0.25 mL of fleet enema (that shoudl give you about 15 ppm NO3 and 1-2 mL phosphate).
Day 2: 5ml of TMG
Day 3: repeat day 1
Day 4: repeat day 2
Day 5: day 1
Day 6: day 2
Day 7 (1): water change and reset.

Re-boot!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

That routine sounds pretty good. I have to wait till tonight before I start anyway, so we'll see.

Quote:
0.25 mL of fleet enema
By my calculations, thats equal to 1/20 tsp. If not the tiny teaspoons, what can I use to measure out .25 ml? (And where do I get it?) I could just do a not quite full 1/16 tsp, would that work?

Quote:
don't listen to the others about "the bulb not covering the whole tank, 65w not strong enough, blah blah blah". Things will be fine...but a key will be that CO2
Yeah, I was worried about the coverage of that light strip. Thanks for the reassurance!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Day 7 should be "walk-your-dog" day according to Craig.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Day 1: water change...1/2 teaspoon Stump remover, 0.25 mL of fleet enema (that shoudl give you about 15 ppm NO3 and 1-2 mL phosphate).
Day 2: 5ml of TMG
Day 3: repeat day 1
Day 4: repeat day 2
Day 5: day 1
Day 6: day 2
Day 7 (1): water change and reset.
When you say repeat day 1, that means repeat the dosing but NOT the water change right?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrfpwr
When you say repeat day 1, that means repeat the dosing but NOT the water change right?
Day 7 is water change day....there are two ways to run the EI...dose every day or take day 6 off and dose nothing. If you choose that route you may want to increase your micros on Days 2 and 4.

I'm not exactly sure about the fleet dosing on how to convert to the teaspoon measurements. You can try the fertilator and see what you come up with (google )

Re-boot!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure about the fleet dosing on how to convert to the teaspoon measurements
.25ml = .05 tsp = 1/20 tsp

the ml to tsp conversion is courtesy of convertit.com (a great resource).

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and dose what you said for today. If it's wrong then we can fix it tomorrow.

Thanks!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i'm trying to work out my dosing on a 29g currently as well.. a few differences in setup, but pretty close.

2 x 65 cfl with pressurized CO2
1/2 tsp. Green light stump remover
1/2 tsp. KCl solution which adds 15-20ppm K+ (details would just detract on how I get the solution right)
10-12 drops fleet enema

flourish, tmg, etc. at 7ml every other day (upped it from 5 to try and get some color in my redder plants)

worth noting: i've recently added gypsum (for calcium) to my water change routine since water is really soft here, and all my plants had been melting. I also upped my K+ and Mg+ dosing at the same time, and everything is responding quite well, including algae and fish I'd say you're on the right track with everything, just make sure that you don't bottom out on K+ since I don't see it's dosage recommended in the above schedule. K2SO4 is much more popular than KCl, and I understand why since my KCl is such a pain to measure and dilute to appropriate dosing levels.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

20 Drop's of Fleet equal's 1ml.
Based on other info I have come across and running a few "number's" 1ml Fleet would give 1 to 1.5ppm P04 per 20 to 40gal.
Tomarrow is mAcro day on my 29g, I will test, then dose with fleet, test again, I will do this over the next few day's and see what it average's out to.

I dose my 29g 65watt

1/3Tsp or 1/4+Tsp KN03
1/16+Tsp KH2P04
1/16+Tsp K2S04
7 to 8ml Trace, 4 to 5ml Flourish + 2 to 3ml Plantex
2ml Fe
w/plenty of C02
All 3x a week, the tank run's great.

Craig

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ogsy,
That is a ton of light, algae will eat you're lunch if you miss anything at anytime.. especially C02

If algae is that bad, try running 1x65 for a week, although I believe I would increase the amoutn of Fleet, if the algae is caused from a lack of P04, dosing a larger amount, you will notice the difference pretty fast, within one day.

Craig

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Does tropica master grow have iron in it? Or do I need a seperate source?

Quote:
Based on other info I have come across and running a few "number's" 1ml Fleet would give 1 to 1.5ppm P04 per 20 to 40gal.
Thats a lot more than I put in. I will change it for day 3.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

I just read that TMG has a lot of potassium in it. So maybe I don't need to dose potassium seperately? I also found that it does have iron in it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrfpwr
I just read that TMG has a lot of potassium in it. So maybe I don't need to dose potassium seperately? I also found that it does have iron in it.
You should be fine on potassium...especially with the stump remover. You can add more if you'd like, but I'd hold off until you see a deficiency (pinholes in leaves).

Things should work out just fine for you...get that co2 going!!

Re-boot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode