constantly cloudy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
constantly cloudy

my tank is a 20 long with 2x55 9325k 10 hours per day. i dose with the e.i. method using seachem and gregg watson ferts. pressure co2 with mid day level 30 ppm+. the water has been milky cloudy for three weeks now. a little better in the am as compared to just before lights out. i tried changing fert schedule and reduced light. no impact. i can do a 70% water change in the am and by night the cloud is returning. any ideas? seems a long time for a bacterial bloom and the water is clear/white not green tinted at all so i dont thing green water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
What kind of substrate. Eco-complete? The reason I ask is some months back they had a problem with a vein of calcium carb. they struck when mining their volcanic ore (they said) and to fix they put a "cure" of a type of Phosphate pH buffer which left the water very white/ cloudy. It also resulted in extremely high PO4 values (bad for algae), which is why they eventually reclaimed all the "corrupted" substrate and sent new Eco to anyone who recieved some of this batch. It was a mess. They also sent me a $100 for my trouble, though I was none too happy at the time.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

yeah i read a couple threads on that i should have ruled it out in my post. i have 50/50 onyx sand and black sand. under that is a few handfulls of flourite from an established tank and a handfull of peat as per the tom barr set up. tank is running over two months now.thanks for the reply : )

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
What kind of filtration do you have and is it adequate?

That is a buttload of light on a 20.. try 1x55 for a week.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

i know the light is pretty extreme. 5 watts per +/-. i tried reducing the light and it had no impact. if anything it was worse. i am at a loss. this isnt my first plant tank. i actually have two more set up the same way that run like clock work. just confused here. it looks like bac bloom but has lasted too long. i hate to do a black out on the odd chance it may help but i think that may be all that is left to try.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 07:54 PM

Seems I'm going through the exact same. It's not GW, appears white and hazy. I think I might have been overzealous in cleaning my filter last week. Presuming that's the culprit.

'Loser' you said yours had lasted too long to be a bacteria bloom - which is what I'm figuring mine is... how long are they supposed to last? Never had one before.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 20g tank is like this alot also...I have very high light (130w), very high Co2 (50ppm), and dose accordingly. Plants and fish do great... plants do almost to good cause of all the trimming i have to do
My filtration is way more then i need. Xp3 on a 20g but I still have that slight white haze in the water it is not crystal clear like I would like. Ive even tried running another filter with a micron filter over night a few times it didnt seem to help at all. Water parameters are all in check. No algae in the tank what so ever. I have also tried cutting down the light by turning a bulb off and also by lowering light duration...ive tried everything i could think of and still have that slight white haze though. Dont get me wrong the tank looks great and most people cant tell..but from where I usually view the tank from I see it from the side, so im looking down the length of the tank where it is most noticable.

I dont know what else to do...

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

exactly where i am at. i just dont know what to do with it. just like yours it runs incredible in all other aspects. i think i am going to try a uv opposite the lighting period and see if that gets me anywhere.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
You know... is this a coincidence? My 29g has had hazy water for about two weeks now. I noticed my nitrates and phosphate was out of control, so I put phosguard in and have been doing water changes. I also noticed my hardness was around 25!
When I do a water change, the water I pour in is obviously much clearer. I've been trying to slowly lower the hardness.
Now, this could be completely misinformed, but is there something possibly with changes in the temperatures in our houses that might be causing this also, with the oncoming of colder weather?
Just wondering.... like I said, I am probably way off base, but it seems that even though I've been trying to get everything else under control,the cloudiness still comes back....

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Are you all dosing phosphate and trace on the same day? When I dose trace with high phosphate they combine and make a haze sometimes. I dose on macro and micro on differant days now.

Rick
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

julesann: i have never had a bac bloom last more than a few days. maybe five at most.

rrguymon: i dose same as you because of the precipitate and phos only once a week at any rate. i ruled out dosing by just doing water changes every day and not adding anything else for a week.

new 2 fish: its funny you bring up temp. i have less cloudiness since i installed a fan for the pc fixture keeping the tank a little cooler.

i am just at a loss.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 04:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
are you dosing flourish excel by chance? i've always had cloudy water when dosing it to the recommended levels on this forum... even the recommended dose on the bottle leaves my water a bit hazy. if you are using it, try cutting it out of your routine for a couple of water changes and see if that helps any. If you're not using excel, then how about adding some polyester floss to the filter? or perhaps running a diatom or uv (if you know someone with one you can borrow) just to see if it knocks it out. if it is bacterial, it should pass, even if it's taking too long. cleaning the filter material too often or with tap water kills the good stuff and leaves room for this harmless but nuisance cloud bacteria to hang around. also, do you have any fish that are diggers? possibly even at night? i've caught my clown plecos digging tunnels around the rockwork in the sand in the early morning hours, and that always leaves a dusty mess for a day or so. if you have fish constantly poking around in the substrate (it would have to be something more substantial than cories, etc... i'm talking about real dirt pushers.. cichlids, plecos, etc) it could also keep your water a little on the cloudy side.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 04:54 AM
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraFFix
I still have that slight white haze in the water it is not crystal clear like I would like. Ive even tried running another filter with a micron filter over night a few times it didnt seem to help at all.
Have you run the micron filter with diatomaceous earth? (A diatomic filter). https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=diatomaceous I am currious because I have run into the white haze as well. Am considering getting the HOT Magnum and running it as a diatomic filter (a polisher?) occasionally.

Am depressed at the moment. Not sure what happened, but just noticed quite a few dead shrimp and my largest Angle is MIA. put in a chopstick air diffuser, and did a 50% water change and the reamining fish are happy at least. I have been fighting several types of algae and think I sturred up somehtin toxic when I was rearangeing my tank earilier this week to improve water flow and co2. Anyway, keep wondering also if a better filter after my replanting may have helped this.

58 gallon oceanic, Kessel 360 tun sun, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser

Last edited by jgc; 11-04-2005 at 01:43 PM.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc
Have you run the micron filter with diatomaceous earth? (A diatomic filter). https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...t=diatomaceous I am currious because I have run into the white haze as well. Am considering getting the HOT Magnum and running it as a diatomic filter (a polisher?) occasionally.
No I didnt run it with diatomaceous earth..no places around me sell it..at least that I know if. I know it would work better that way but like i said I didnt have any. I should try to find where i can get some and run that again and see if it helps.

My tanks:
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-04-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

i tried diatom. cleared it up but it returns the next day or so. you can do yourself a diatom a ton cheaper than buying a magnum or vortex. get a powerhead and a hagen "quick filter" drop it a bucket with water and d/e. the micron pad will charge with the d/e and away you go. i dont think it would work too well for bigger tanks but it works great up to about 30 gallons.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode