dosing a 40g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/80%)
dosing a 40g

hey everyone,
i have a 40g that i recently put a lot of plants in (amazon sword, ferns, marsilea) and i want to decide on a set dosing routine so i wont run into algae problems. My tank specs-
40g
20w florescent tube 40w PC screw in light bulbs (might add up to 40w later but not yet)
co2- Flourish excel, not planning on a diy co2 or pressurized
filter- penguin 400 (too much co2 loss if i inject co2)
plants- amazon sword, L. brevipes, L. narrow leaf, marsilea, dwarf hairgrass, moss, dwarf sag, pennywort
fish-3 angelfish (might get rid of one soon), 15 neon/cardinal mix, 1 bristlenose, 1 African dwarf frog

Oh and i have a lot of Excel i can use . I was thinking something along the lines of EI but less so can anyone give me some advice like what to dose more and stuff. I have KNO3, Enima, and Flourish to work with also. I might be adding a little more light soon when i have more time because the dwarf hairgrass isn't getting enough. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
1.5 to 2wpg is perfect for hairgrass...
you don't need EI for this setup, do the recommended amount of excel, 10mlTrace once a week, maybe a touch of phosphate's once a week, fish load and feeding should take care of the rest.

If you add more light, things will change..

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok i'm going to keep it the same then. the old hairgrass is turning brown but i see sme new growth growing in so it shouldn't do that bad if i give it some time. Also what do you mean by a touch of phosphate? 5 drops after the water change? and do i dose all that flourish at once? thanks.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Not sure what that 40w screw in is doing for that 40g, may need another tube/40w or so..
Just 2 maybe 3 drop's.
You can dose the trace all at once weekly, if the light is good, and fish load is right, along with feeding's, the hairgrass should grow nicely, you shouldn't have to do a water change much either... once a month maybe..

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

the 40w is 2 20w PC screw in daylight bulbs from walmart, no reflector so thats why i was thinking about sticking another one. But the dwarf hairgrass is sending runners out after being in the tank for a week so i think it is doing fine. If it doesn't i'll just add in one or tow more 20w bulbs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode