help do I have my EI dosing figured out right? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
help do I have my EI dosing figured out right?

I have a 125 gallon with 6x55 cf co2 via reactor very heavy planting with a very light fish load my tap water is
ph 7.6
no3 0
po4 0
kh 110ppm or 6.16dg

the tank is at ph 6.8, kh of 90ppm or 5.04dg which I am calculating co2 at 22ppm
If I have figured this right and want
N=20
p=2.8ppm
k=28ppm
I need to add 3 teas of kno3, .4 teas of kh2po4 and 5 teas of k2so4, I am not sure how much iron or trace to be adding I have Plantex csm+B plus iron.
what I am not sure if I understand correctly is this what I need to add by the end of the week? Another words if I am going to dose 4 days a week do I divide the above by 4? any help would be greatly appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

150 gallon. eco complete, 330 watt cf, eheim 2128 and 2028, pressurized co2 with am 1000 reactor, pinpoint ph controller
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Things look right from your macros...as far as plantex...with a tank that big, you might consider dosing it dry (or shaking it up in a small bottle of water before you pour it in). I believe Greg Watson doses dry...give him a PM and see what he says. Other than that, you may be looking at a lot of mLs...which could get tedious.

Re-boot!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 09:20 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbyrd
I have a 125 gallon with 6x55 cf co2 via reactor very heavy planting with a very light fish load my tap water is
ph 7.6
no3 0
po4 0
kh 110ppm or 6.16dg

the tank is at ph 6.8, kh of 90ppm or 5.04dg which I am calculating co2 at 22ppm
If I have figured this right and want
N=20
p=2.8ppm
k=28ppm
I need to add 3 teas of kno3, .4 teas of kh2po4 and 5 teas of k2so4, I am not sure how much iron or trace to be adding I have Plantex csm+B plus iron.
what I am not sure if I understand correctly is this what I need to add by the end of the week? Another words if I am going to dose 4 days a week do I divide the above by 4? any help would be greatly appreciated.
EI fert ranges are:

NO3 range 5-30ppm
K+ range 10-30ppm
PO4 range 1.0-3.0 ppm
Fe 0.2-0.5ppm or higher (?)
GH range 3 degrees ~ 50ppm or higher

Per EI you need to get CO2 up to 30ppm or you could try Tom's new microbubble idea.

Normally in EI KNO3 and KH2PO4 provide the macros NPK. Why are you adding K2SO4?

According to the Fertilator on APC your KNO3 and KH2PO4 give you 20ppm NO3, 3.3ppm PO4 and 14ppm of K. That puts your PO4 high and everything else in the range you want. With K2SO4 you'd have 44ppm K which is pretty high. I'd skip the K2SO4 unless there's some specific reason to use it and cut back the KH2PO4. This is the total weekly dosing so you'll need to divide this up and alternate with the traces. Remember your 50% weekly water changes. I use Seachem Flourish for traces so I'm not familiar with CSM dosing. If you got it from Greg I'm sure he's help you out.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

this may be a silly question but I am just trying to understand further. Is there a reason that the weeks ferts can not be added all at the same time right after the water change?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

150 gallon. eco complete, 330 watt cf, eheim 2128 and 2028, pressurized co2 with am 1000 reactor, pinpoint ph controller
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 02:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
The idea is to keep the levels throught the week. If you dosed all in one day, there would be a surge of nutrients that day, and would fade.
Or at least that is how I take it. As for some nutrients causing problems for others...

have a look here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...4&postcount=10

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbyrd
this may be a silly question but I am just trying to understand further. Is there a reason that the weeks ferts can not be added all at the same time right after the water change?
This works okay for a low light tank with CO2, or a non CO2 tank.
But you can simply try it and watch the plants and then make your own conclusion.

You will find that you have better results dosing 2-3x a week.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2005, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tom is it a matter of the ferts losing their potentiency, I am not doubting you that the 2-3 is better, the reason I am asking is in my reading of your material it seems that there is not a negative in having levels too high, or would the plants take up more at the first of the week, I believe you called this luxury uptake, and then not have enough at the end of the week?
thanks
donald

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Because the nutrients complex with other organics in the water and lose their availability or preciptate out.

It also keeps the plants use to a fairly stable concentration os nutrients, when you allows things to go over a huge wide range, then the plants change their uptake enzymes to work better at very low levels, then you dose them with very high nutrients and then they are back to changing their uptake enzymes to the low affinity rapid easy uptake enzymes again.

Dosing that way will confuse the plant and it always chases the nutrient concentration from high to low back to high again.

A person could likely live if we fed them once a week and stuffed pork chops down their neck. But you'd probably do better being fed 2-4x a week........

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok that makes sense, just trying to get a better understanding

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

help with gw

Ok I have been dosing the above for 2 weeks , and i am now seeing GW can someone help me out on what i need to adjust... thanks in advance

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode