Plants in gravel substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants in gravel substrate

I started my tank with gravel and decided to go with love plants. Looking back I wish I did a nutrient bases substrate. Will the plants still grow well enough in water/gravel or should I be supplementing them with something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I too am in the same situation you are, I have live plants in gravel. I am finding that the plants will do just ok, if they grow the growth will be very slow. Some plants just grow slow aswell, like java, fern. I am just starting to supplement my plants and i will have to let you know how it works out for me.

TECK
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm not sure what you mean by "love plants", unless that is a typo and you mean "live" plants.

If you do mean live plants, there are several options that you have with a gravel tank.

1. Get plants that get their nutrients from the water column. Any floating plant (like frogbit) would fit well in this category. Depending on the plant, you might need to dose with a liquid fertilizer.
  2. Get slow-growing, low light plants that don't need many nutrients. Good examples of this are java fern and anubias plants.
  3. Plan on getting root tabs for your root-feeding plants. I have a sand substrate in my tank, and I use Seachem Flourish Root Tabs for my root-feeders, which include my amazon sword, my Italian vals, and my crinum calamistratum and crinum aquatica plants. I have also heard that osmocote plus tabs are good as well.
  4. Change the substrate.

I hope this helps!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Most all aquatic plants can use nutrients from the water column.

As long as you provide root tabs in your gravel and dose nutrients as needed (depending upon the plants you have), you'll be fine with your current substrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another option is adding something like pure laterite, turface or clay, anything that will improve you Cat Ion exchange ratio. This will allow your substrate to hold onto more nutrients for your plants to use.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

To be honest I have no idea what the names are of the plants in there now.

I believe its java moss on the tree and a moss ball to the left. Not sure about the other 2 on the right. How often would you put root tabs in the tank?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Looks like Crypt Parva and Cabomba on the right.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Looks like Crypt Parva and Cabomba on the right.
Thank you!

Is there any other plants you would recommend for a gravel substrate tank?

My next one will be a soil base but I have to work with what I have for now
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Looks like you're off to a great start.

Your Crypt parva will do much better if you remove it from that rock wool mound and plant it in your substrate.

Just about any plant will work for you providing you have proper ferts and such. Easy stems like Bacopa monnieri and plants like Anubias nana 'petite' will grow really well with just root tabs.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What do you recommend for ferts? I have never used them? Liquid or root tabs?

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

Root tabs are all you'll need for your current plants and low light stems, most likely.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode