What Method of Dosing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
What Method of Dosing?

I've been reading and it seems like none of systems are tailored to my size tank and my current amount of plants.

Ok so Tank specs:
Size - 48L*18W*24D
Volume - 90G
Substrate - Aquarium gravel and sand (inert)
Filtration - Aquaclear 110 and a Sun sun wave maker for good circulation
CO2 - DIY
Lighting - 48" T8 fixture w/ Floramax bulb, 2 8" Dome lights with 33W spiral CFLs

I would consider it to be medium to heavily planted.

Should I go with PPS-Pro or EI?

Additionally, what about purchasing a MacroMicro all in one mix?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt turbo View Post
I've been reading and it seems like none of systems are tailored to my size tank and my current amount of plants.

Ok so Tank specs:
Size - 48L*18W*24D
Volume - 90G
Substrate - Aquarium gravel and sand (inert)
Filtration - Aquaclear 110 and a Sun sun wave maker for good circulation
CO2 - DIY
Lighting - 48" T8 fixture w/ Floramax bulb, 2 8" Dome lights with 33W spiral CFLs

I would consider it to be medium to heavily planted.

Should I go with PPS-Pro or EI?

Additionally, what about purchasing a MacroMicro all in one mix?
I must say, DIY CO2 on a 90 gallon aquarium is quite...impressive. How many bottles are you running?

I personally prefer EI dosing, since it requires less adjusting (with PPS-Pro, you will need to adjust your dosing to your plant biomass accordingly). The trade off is that you need to do 50% water changes, which can be bothersome with a 90 gallon aquarium.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I must say, DIY CO2 on a 90 gallon aquarium is quite...impressive. How many bottles are you running?

I personally prefer EI dosing, since it requires less adjusting (with PPS-Pro, you will need to adjust your dosing to your plant biomass accordingly). The trade off is that you need to do 50% water changes, which can be bothersome with a 90 gallon aquarium.
The 50% water change is a non issue due to the placement of the tank. It's right next to a window but it wouldn't receive much if any direct sunlight.

As for the CO2, i intend to run 3 2 liter bottles at once changing out every week but right now at the tank has just been set up, I'm using one huge mott's apple juice 2 gallon bottle.

My wife is gonna get me a CO2 cylinder for my birthday next month but I am still enjoying the DIY system for the time being.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
The 50% water change is a non issue due to the placement of the tank. It's right next to a window but it wouldn't receive much if any direct sunlight.

As for the CO2, i intend to run 3 2 liter bottles at once changing out every week but right now at the tank has just been set up, I'm using one huge mott's apple juice 2 gallon bottle.

My wife is gonna get me a CO2 cylinder for my birthday next month but I am still enjoying the DIY system for the time being.
That amount of DIY CO2 will not be near the amount that is required for a 90 gallon aquarium, but it is better than nothing.

Pressurized CO2 is definitely the way to go, and it is nice to see that you will be getting it soon.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
That amount of DIY CO2 will not be near the amount that is required for a 90 gallon aquarium, but it is better than nothing.

Pressurized CO2 is definitely the way to go, and it is nice to see that you will be getting it soon.
Anybody got an extra CO2 drop checker that they wanna RAOK? lolololol.

How many bubbles per second do i need for a 90g?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Anybody got an extra CO2 drop checker that they wanna RAOK? lolololol.

How many bubbles per second do i need for a 90g?
Bubbles per second is not a good way to determine CO2 levels, since there are so many factors that can cause changes in bubble size.

Your best bet is to hope for that drop checker to come

Anthony

and

Tags
90g fert, estimative index, pps-pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode