co2 production and diy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
co2 production and diy

My tank is really looking great. My light to nutrients to co2 must be in good balance. Almost no algae growth. Great plant growth happy fish. Heres the rub. I want my glosso to spread out. I am adding another t5ho light. I know to keep the balance i may need to increase my nutrients and co2 production. Right now i use 4 - 1liter bottles, i change each of them monthly. I want to increase production without increasing depletion rate. I think i should swap one or two of the four with 1.5 to 2 liter bottles. I would increase the sugar and yeast in proportion to the water in the bottle. Would this increase co2 production? Or would it be better to add more 1liter bottles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Switching to 2 L bottles, but maintaining the same ratios should generate more CO2.

However, I am unsure of your CO2 switching routine. Do you switch all your bottles out after 1 month?

You might be able to get a more steady flow of CO2 if you were to stagger the swap outs to (say) every 2 weeks instead.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Increasing light will increase CO2 consumption by plants.

But it will not increase CO2 loss to the atmosphere, and I figure in most tanks, that's where most of the CO2 actually goes.

So increasing lights may result in a surprisingly insignificant drop in CO2 level.

Having an advance plan is great, but let your drop checker show you what's really going on.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Switching to 2 L bottles, but maintaining the same ratios should generate more CO2.

However, I am unsure of your CO2 switching routine. Do you switch all your bottles out after 1 month?

You might be able to get a more steady flow of CO2 if you were to stagger the swap outs to (say) every 2 weeks instead.
No. What i do is this. I change one bottle every week in rotation. I date the bottle to know which bottle is due. This keeps the flow very regular. Thanx everyone for your advice. I will increase the light, first, then monitor algae growth. If there is a great change i will swap out a couple of the bottles for larger ones.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode