How can I balance my CO2 between fish and plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
How can I balance my CO2 between fish and plants?

Hi all,

I'm at a point with my CO2 where if I raise the bubble rate a little bit, the plants stop losing leaves rapidly and being CO2 deficient, but the fish will stop really moving around and being active in the tank (hide all day and only come out to eat when I feed them).

However, if I lower the bubble rate a little bit, the fish become more active, but the plants start to lose leaves (specifically staurogyne repens etc). How can I find the balance here? What do you guys do about this?

As far as lighting goes, I have 1 T5HO bulb 26" above the substrate with a medium quality reflector and glass lids in between in a 55G tank. I would call this low light.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Increase O2 for fish, thus letting you raise your CO2 for plants.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
Increase O2 for fish, thus letting you raise your CO2 for plants.
To elaborate on this, you need to have surface movement in your tank, and a lot of flow throughout the water column. You also do not want to break the surface of top line of water, only have it constantly ruffling to allow for o2 to be dissolved into the water.

If you break the surface of the water, the co2 gases out of the water, thus being counterproductive towards your goal. But if you have the water only rifling, the co2 still will mostly stay within the water itself while also allowing the o2 to get into the water for the fish.

What I plan on doing as well, is having airstones on a timer, that way I have that running when the lights go off (and the co2) and stop that when the co2 comes on (an hour before the lights is what I've been told is a good idea)

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I already have that ruffling on the surface via a surface skimmer, and I have an Eheim 2217 and a Koralia Nano 240 providing circulation through the tank. I would be worried about adding more flow because it already seems like a decent amount. Sorta struggling on what else I should do.

-VeeSe

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does the Eheim have a spraybar? If not maybe point the Koralia more towards the surface.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluek24a4 View Post
Does the Eheim have a spraybar? If not maybe point the Koralia more towards the surface.
Yeah it does. It's currently pointed down to try and get circulation to the bottom of the tank. Same with the Koralia. Basically, I wanted the CO2 to get distributed to the carpeting staurogyne. I could point either of them more upwards.

-VeeSe

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Angle the spray bar up a little bit to get the surface moving.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
look at my 75. I have 2 2217's, and instead of a spraybar I have these little outlet things that I point up to make two nice riffles at the top. THen I have my korelia pointing downwards.

Of course, I don't have my co2 hooked up yet, but I am planing on getting that done in about a week, once my tank and drop checkers get here.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode