Seachem Ferts keep making nitrite spike
*Tank has been cycled for about 2 months*
Three weeks ago all the water parameters were good, added some ferts and hours later fish were going crazy. Ammonia was at 0, but nitrite had spiked to close to 4. I did some water changes & added prime. I figured it was this new bacteria I was adding to the filter called Microlift Therap so I stopped using it.
Later in the week I added some more ferts and hours later fish started acting crazy. Did a check and ammonia at 0, nitrite was around 2. I did some water changes & added prime. I thought it was the excel I was using. I've been battling bba and just started using diluted metricide 14 as a excel replacement. So I did some water changes and stopped using the metricide.
Later in the week I added some more ferts and hours later fish were going crazy. Checked water and ammonia was 0 and nitrite at 2. I did some water changes & added prime. I didn't know what it was so I stopped adding ferts for about a week. No ammonia, No nitrite, nitrate slowly raised to 3 by the end of the week.
I started documenting what I was adding and on what days to try to narrow down what was causing the nitrite spike. Here are my results until I experienced another spike:
*Friday- ammonia .25 & nitrite @ 0,
added 8ml seachem potassium, 5ml seachem prime
6 hours later ammonia & nitrite at 0, nitrate at 2
*Sunday- ammonia .25 & nitrite @ 0, nitrate at 3
added 5ml seachem nitrogen, 4ml seachem flourish, 8ml seachem potassium
6 hours later ammonia & nitrite at 0
*Sunday night- did 50% water change added prime to tap water as recommended
*Monday- ammonia .25 & nitrite @ 0, nitrate at 1-2
added 12.5ml seachem trace
6 hours later ammonia & nitrite @ 0
*Tuesday- ammonia .25 & nitrite @ 0, Nitrate @ 2-3
added 5ml seachem nitrogen, 8ml seachem potassium, 3ml seachem phosphorous , 5ml seachem prime
6 hours later ammonia @0, nitrite @ 1
So I've narrowed it down to phosphorous, but I don't know if it is the phosphorous by its self or mixed with the potassium, or mixed with the nitrogen, or mixed with prime, or if its the four mixed together.
I tried experimenting with tap water but everything shows 0 nitrite, so its somehow doing something to the bacteria. Maybe keeping the nitrifying bacteria from working...I'm not really sure.
I'm hoping for some insight from people who know what is going on here.
(Sorry for the long post)
Last edited by kyleax1; 01-01-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Reason: added info