API Proper pH 8.2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
API Proper pH 8.2

Anyone ever use anything like the API Proper pH 8.2 to keep your pH up? Is this like the pH up that will sit in the water but then it will slowly drop back to what the original pH was?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
Bad bad bad idea. Never use anything with the word up or down in its packaging.

Ph swings kill shrimp. They need absolute stability.

*Retired for now*
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
pH isn't as important as a stable GH and KH. Many factors can cause the pH to rise or drop (co2, minerals, some rocks, driftwood), but it doesn't seem to effect the shrimp I've had as much as if the KH suddenly changed. That was a lesson I learned the hard way, after losing most of my CRS.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Bad bad bad idea. Never use anything with the word up or down in its packaging.

Ph swings kill shrimp. They need absolute stability.
From my understanding is that this is more of a buffer than something that will drastically increase/decrease any pH over a short amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
pH isn't as important as a stable GH and KH. Many factors can cause the pH to rise or drop (co2, minerals, some rocks, driftwood), but it doesn't seem to effect the shrimp I've had as much as if the KH suddenly changed. That was a lesson I learned the hard way, after losing most of my CRS.
All water is going to be pre-mixed and maintained primarily for water changes. I'll be using RO water and changing about 10% weekly. I'm using crushed coral as a substrate to help buffer the pH but I haven't seen a big improvement of pH as I did when I added baking soda. When adding the baking soda, it raised my pH up to 8.0 and my KH went to 7dh. Since then, my KH has increased to 9dh and the pH is still at the 8.0. I just did a 10% water change in the tank and am waiting for the water to properly mix before testing it all again to see how my pre-mixed water for water changes worked. The pH of the RO water I'm using is 7 so I'm needing to get the water up to that 8.0 while also keeping the KH and GH as low as possible so that I can maintain the water parameters of my shrimp tank. I saw this stuff along with some made by Seachem that I was curious about adding to the RO water I prepare for the Sulawesi shrimp. Just trying to find ways to properly prepare the water for these extremely fragile shrimp.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Invert Warrior

If you get your ducks in a row, your ph will be stable and where you want it. It starts with substrate, RO water and remineralizaton.

I should have said that to start.

Yes, if you get everything stable, and your GH and KH are where they should be, you'll likely get the PH you need, and furthermore your shrimp will adjust to that PH.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So for Sulawesi shrimp I should be focused on the KH and GH stabilization and not so much the pH? With just the crushed coral my pH goes from the 7.0 to 7.4-7.6. That's a bit shy of the 8.0 suggestion that everyone has been telling me these types of shrimp need. My plan is having a 5 gallon bucket running 24/7 with crushed coral in the bottom, a heater to ensure the water temp is the same as the tank, and an air stone running in it. Is this all I should focus on then?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Invert Warrior

7.4 is the lowest PH I'd keep them in.

Focus on that with stable 120 TDS Max and at least a 4 GH.

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
When I run a Rift Lake tank I do the following:

Substrate is coral sand.
In the filter are bags (nylon stocking) of oyster shell grit.

Tap water has GH and KH around 4-5 degrees. Add baking soda for KH and Seachem equilibrium for GH until it meets the needs of the fish. Never mind what the pH is doing. In fact, the water company added sodium hydroxide, and the pH out of the tap was upper 7s. By the time I added enough baking soda to raise the KH the pH was in the low 8s.

Do water change with the new water ALREADY AT the right parameters.

The substrate and oyster shell grit act as buffers through the week, just in case the mineral levels or pH were being acted on and might change. Plants and fish use the Ca and Mg from the water, and some plants and the nitrifying bacteria use carbonates. So the levels might drop through the week. This is normal. But the coral sand and oyster shell grit maintain the right levels.

Top off with tap water.
-------------------------------------------------
Go to the API web site and read what is in it. Then go look at the MSDS.
Then go read the MSDS of baking soda.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So here's where I'm at:

Untreated Tap Water
pH: 7.6
KH: 18 degrees
GH: 6 degrees

RO Water
pH: 6.6
KH: 0 degrees
GH: 0 degrees

Desired Ranges
pH: 8.0 - 8.3
KH: 4-6 degrees
GH: 4-6 degrees

Right off the bat I know that tap water is most likely not going to be useful with the parameters I am looking to achieve. However, the RO water seems like it will be rather difficult as well. I know if I add .48 tsp of baking soda to the RO water that it will raise my KH to 5 degrees and raise my pH from 6.6 to about 7.4 but then I also have to raise the GH which will also raise the KH correct? Now in the 5 gallon bucket I'd be using for pre-mixing my water I'd have the crushed coral which should also help raise the pH but will it get it up to the 8.0 range? Or should I use some sort of blended RO and Tap water?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Invert Warrior

What are your desired shrimp?

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
What are your desired shrimp?
It's for Red Goldflake/Yellow Striped Red Bees. So high PH and lower GH/KH.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like you will have to research non-carbonate methods of raising the pH.

GH and KH are stand-alone factors.
GH is calcium and magnesium.
KH is carbonates (including bicarbonates).
You can adjust one without altering the other.

Since the tap water is roughly 3 times as high KH as you want you could practice mixing 25% tap + 75% RO and see if that gets you close, maybe go to 33% tap + 67% RO.
If that gives you the right KH that is OK, but I doubt the pH or GH will be right.

What do other people add to the water to keep these shrimp happy?
What other minerals are in the water in the wild?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So this makes no sense to me. I added 1/2 gallon of tap water to 3 gallons of RO water and get the following:

pH: 7.6
KH: 5 degrees
GH: 9 degrees

I have the water being aerated and have crushed coral in the bottom. Any ideas why the GH jumped so high?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode