How Do You Vacuum Gravel In A Planted Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
How Do You Vacuum Gravel In A Planted Tank?

I just moved a piece of wood in the back of my 10g tank (with AquaClear 30 on minimum) and planted a few plants back there. The water got full of particles, cutting down on visibility, but cleared up within a half-hour.

Suggestions, please, on how to stop detritus from collecting under the gravel, or how to get it out?

One thing I can think of as I'm writing is cut back on feeding - I only have 7 Pristella Tetras though - think small.

MY TANK: Planted 10g; 2 x 10W CFL; Fluval U2 internal filter; MGOCPM/black sand cap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
started April 18, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (49/100%)
I don't gravel vac my planted tanks. The waste will eventually become plant food. To get rid of the excess waste I just wave the end of siphon above the gravel to stir things up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp33drhno View Post
I don't gravel vac my planted tanks. The waste will eventually become plant food. To get rid of the excess waste I just wave the end of siphon above the gravel to stir things up.
+ one.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
poop is good food(for plants)

Never.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm the same, usually just wave my hand around the bottom to stir stuff up then siphon it all off.

(Journal to come...)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Wow, I swear I replied to this thread! Did some posts get deleted? Why?

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I don't!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 AM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Yup, just wave your hand to disturb the surface and get any excess mulm buildup off of the top and you are good to go.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I was under the impression that it was necessary with gravel bc the waste falls down between the pieces. Whereas other substrates keep the waste sitting more on top...?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 AM
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (14/100%)
It is ok building up down there. It is good for plants and doesn't really harm your tank

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

*Retired for now*
|
|
|
|
|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|
|
|
|
|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder --

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode