PH in a pressurized CO2/T5HO/ferts tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
PH in a pressurized CO2/T5HO/ferts tank

This may be a dumb question but, my ph is low in the 20 gallon I'm assuming because of the CO2 injection. How would I raise the ph? lower the CO2? I did a 50% water change yesturday. I'm not sure if I do another small water change if it will shock the bacteria in the tank and cause a mini cycle...any suggestions?

Sincerely, Unikorn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP20 gallon tank journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11.4 gallon rimless shrimp tank

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:08 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I wouldn't worry too much about the pH drop that is due to CO2 injection. Trying to adjust the pH with chemicals will just do more harm than good.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks I really want the PFR's to breed so I was worrying about the drop.

Sincerely, Unikorn

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Mine does the same in my 75 gallon so I place some crushed coral in my filter which makes the ph around 6.8 , without its at 5.8-6.0 .
The problem is good bacteria will not thrive in 6.0 or less, so whilst the bad bacteria contines to multiply, your good bacteria stays dormant .

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
PFR?

I make sure the mineral level (GH) is right for the livestock.
Then set the KH not too far off that.
Let the pH do what it wants.

Nitrifying bacteria is pretty resilient to changes such as the changing pH when you do a water change. They thrive best in hard, alkaline water, but will do just fine down to GH and KH about 3 degrees. Softer than that there is the chance that the carbonates will run out. Plants or the bacteria themselves may use up the carbonates. If you stay on top of it and simply make sure the GH and KH never hit zero the fish, plants and bacteria will be fine.
The fish need stable mineral levels, not so much pH. They do not mind the pH swings that happen when CO2 is added. Keep the GH in the right range for the fish.
Plants need the calcium and magnesium that we test as GH. Make sure it does not run out. Some plants can use carbonates as a source of carbon, but they only do this when the CO2 runs out, and they do not switch over instantly to that method. In a CO2 injected tank I do not think the plants would use the carbonates. As long as there are enough carbonates for the bacteria I would not worry about it.

It used to be thought the KH had to stay above 3 German degrees of hardness to keep the pH stable. Maybe that is a good number to aim for, and see what happens. Many people are finding their tanks do just fine with 1-2 dKH.
Stable is not rock steady at one value 24/7.
Stable is a not extreme change in value that (in the case of pH) follows a daily cycle.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Painted Fire Red cherry shrimp What is the easiest way to test KH and GH? I know people have spoken about it on other threads, but I never asked about it.

Sincerely, Unikorn

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The easy way to test GH and KH is with a GH and KH test kit. I assume that was what you were looking for?

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes the kit was what I didnt know existed. Cool! Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sincerely, Unikorn

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode