Brightly K and fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Brightly K and fish

I've noticed everytime I dose Brightly K in my tank that all the fish (currently rasbora maculatus,danio erythromicron and pygmy cories) all stop and sit in the corner of the tank for several minutes. It's almost like they're stunned.

Is this normal or is it possible that there's something wrong with my Brightly K?

My tank is a 7g nano, and water parameters are:

GH 30, KH 40, pH 6.3, NO2 0, NO3 20 and ammonia 0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7g nano, a work in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3g semi-emersed bowl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

five minutes since the dose, and they're still sitting in the corner, flinching a bit. Didn't even move while I snap a close up:

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Brighty K uses a form of potassium that contains bicarbonate, so it raises the KH slightly when you add it. That might be it.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Freph, do you use it? I'm worried because I purchased it from the now closed Fishaholics in Seattle. It turns out they were not an official ADA store. It would help to know if this is typical when dosing nanos? I hope I purchased the real deal. I certainly paid for the real stuff.

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Do you use it? I'm worried because I purchased it from the now closed Fishaholics in Seattle. It turns out they were not an official ADA store. It would help to know if this is typical when dosing nanos?
I never have that problem....how much are you dosing?

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I began dosing 1 pump per day but have since backed off to every other day.

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm not sure...I dose 1 pump per day on my Mini M and 4 per day on my 20g. Never any ill effects from the fish. Do they ONLY do that when you dose or could there be any other sources of stress? I know the Brighty K has a KH booster in it to counteract some of the buffering effects of AS.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think so. They seem to fine right before I dose. I didn't introduce anything else, clean or otherwise traumatize them. I do dose one drop of step 1 at the same time. Step 1 came from the San Fran store so I don't suspect it. maybe I should try ordering a new bottle and see if there's a difference. I hate that I could be poisoning these guys :/

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I mean... I don't think I'm doing anything else.

Sorry, I was waiting for my daughter to come out of a soccer game and she showed up as I was replying. Thanks for your help Freph.

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No worries. I'm curious though...have you tried not dosing Brighty K at all around your normal dosing time and monitoring the fish? How about half dosing? Also, as far as dosing Green Brighty Step 1 at the same time, I've never had any bad effects from it on either tank.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, they do it other times too. When I removed the lid this morning and adjusted the CO2 a bit, they did the same thing. When I dose, I push the pump slowly and move the jar across the tank to try to disperse it better. (the first time I dosed, a cory came up out of nowhere right into the drip and fluttered about on the tank bottom for several minutes. He survived, but I'm sure that wasn't what he was expecting... )

I'll try half dosing to see if it makes a difference. At the same time, I'm trying to revive my hc which has yellowed and browned in areas. I really should have shown more patience and waited to have my plants well established before introducing the fish.

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What are your tank specs right now? Dosing, filtration, photoperiod, light source, CO2 amount and diffusion method...etc.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
What are your tank specs right now? Dosing, filtration, photoperiod, light source, CO2 amount and diffusion method...etc.
7g with Ada aquasky led, eheim canister with a pouch of purigen recently added to the biological beads, Ada new Amazonian soil, co2 injected at 1-2bps with do aqua glass diffuser. Photo period is 9 hrs.

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I overdose brightly k and make my own, 1 pump on a 7g is a bit high since its 1 pump per 20l, but I pump 6 on a 17 which is much higher, I have shrimp on that tank and never noticed any issues. Check your ph before and after dosing

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/92%)
brighty k is potassium chloride along with a few other components that I don't know much about (most likely a dechlorinator). I've used brighty k quite a lot couple years ago when I worked at AFA. they used it in every one of their tanks. None of the fish reacted that way though. next time, try adding it with dechlor and see how that turns out. Good luck!

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode