Dry Ferts question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Ferts question

I'll soon setup a 40b with ADA Amazonia, 2x39 T5HO and c02. I read a sticky titled "_Dosing Regime's_"

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

I want to buy the dry ferts before hand. Even though I'm not sure what kind of plants I'm going with, do I still need to follow this regime or should I wait 'til the tank has been flooded and inspect how the plants are doing then dose dry ferts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
My advice would be to get a Macro/Micro mix found here

http://aquariumfertilizer.com/index....ShowItemStart=

Then you can decide on which plants you intend to go with for your tank, and then you can start dosing the macro/micro mix which pretty much covers your basics on nutrients from the N-P-K macro nutrients, and the mix contains micro nutrients like boron, magnesium, manganese, iron, calcium, etc..... and only dose your tank 3 times a week.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
When I start a new tank, I go with what the base dosing is calling for and then tweak from there to meet the requirements after watching them for a while. My 36g is stocked with heavy nitrate feeding plants so I have twice the KN03 going into the tank than the base level calls for lol.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can also get what you need from a member of this forum .. nilocg is his username. Do a search in the For Sale or trade forum. He has several packages to choose from or you can just buy "ala carte".
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
You can also get what you need from a member of this forum .. nilocg is his username. Do a search in the For Sale or trade forum. He has several packages to choose from or you can just buy "ala carte".
Thanks, yes I can help you out with whatever you need, please pm me if interested.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, I saw his thread hence why I decided I should make a thread regarding dosing regime.

Let say I dose at 5pm, how long before it takes effect ie. seeing nitrites, nirates etc. change?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
Yes, I saw his thread hence why I decided I should make a thread regarding dosing regime.

Let say I dose at 5pm, how long before it takes effect ie. seeing nitrites, nirates etc. change?
Your nitrites should not change at all, since we are dosing them.

Your nitrates will change, and how fast will depend on how much circulation you have in your aquarium to mix it around. I would say maybe 30 minutes should give you equal dispersion around your entire aquarium? This is just a random estimate.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So follow the below...

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

...then adjust accordingly?

I'm confused...I think once I start dosing and checking water parameters, It'll be alot easier to understand.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
So follow the below...

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

...then adjust accordingly?

I'm confused...I think once I start dosing and checking water parameters, It'll be alot easier to understand.
This looks like your typical EI dosing regime; you probably don't need to test the water too often, since this is what EI was designed to avoid.

Just start dosing as above and then adjust accordingly, I would say.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can dose per the EI dosages forever if you wish, and if you continue doing 50% water changes every week or so. Or, you can "adjust accordingly", which means reducing the dosages a bit, watching the plants for a week to be sure they continue to grow as well, and repeating this until you see the plants don't do as well, then go back to the last dosage where the plants did well. You need to do this with only one chemical at a time, starting with KNO3, for example. Then KH2PO4, then CSM+B, etc. Once you have "adjusted accordingly" you can relax on the water changes, doing them less frequently or in a smaller percentage at a time. Just be aware that the dosages needed are proportional to the mass of the plants in the tank - the more plants, the higher the needed dosages, all else being equal. That seems like work to me, so I just use the EI dosages, adjusted downward a bit because I use low light.

Hoppy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
This looks like your typical EI dosing regime; you probably don't need to test the water too often, since this is what EI was designed to avoid.

Just start dosing as above and then adjust accordingly, I would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You can dose per the EI dosages forever if you wish, and if you continue doing 50% water changes every week or so. Or, you can "adjust accordingly", which means reducing the dosages a bit, watching the plants for a week to be sure they continue to grow as well, and repeating this until you see the plants don't do as well, then go back to the last dosage where the plants did well. You need to do this with only one chemical at a time, starting with KNO3, for example. Then KH2PO4, then CSM+B, etc. Once you have "adjusted accordingly" you can relax on the water changes, doing them less frequently or in a smaller percentage at a time. Just be aware that the dosages needed are proportional to the mass of the plants in the tank - the more plants, the higher the needed dosages, all else being equal. That seems like work to me, so I just use the EI dosages, adjusted downward a bit because I use low light.
Thanks, you rock guys

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode