Dry Ferts question - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LBC
Posts: 51
Dry Ferts question

I'll soon setup a 40b with ADA Amazonia, 2x39 T5HO and c02. I read a sticky titled "_Dosing Regime's_"

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

I want to buy the dry ferts before hand. Even though I'm not sure what kind of plants I'm going with, do I still need to follow this regime or should I wait 'til the tank has been flooded and inspect how the plants are doing then dose dry ferts?
snakebite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO.
Posts: 1,086
My advice would be to get a Macro/Micro mix found here

http://aquariumfertilizer.com/index....ShowItemStart=


Then you can decide on which plants you intend to go with for your tank, and then you can start dosing the macro/micro mix which pretty much covers your basics on nutrients from the N-P-K macro nutrients, and the mix contains micro nutrients like boron, magnesium, manganese, iron, calcium, etc..... and only dose your tank 3 times a week.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Noahma's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,342
When I start a new tank, I go with what the base dosing is calling for and then tweak from there to meet the requirements after watching them for a while. My 36g is stocked with heavy nitrate feeding plants so I have twice the KN03 going into the tank than the base level calls for lol.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Noahma is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NE TN
Posts: 588
You can also get what you need from a member of this forum .. nilocg is his username. Do a search in the For Sale or trade forum. He has several packages to choose from or you can just buy "ala carte".
sowNreap is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (538/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
You can also get what you need from a member of this forum .. nilocg is his username. Do a search in the For Sale or trade forum. He has several packages to choose from or you can just buy "ala carte".
Thanks, yes I can help you out with whatever you need, please pm me if interested.
nilocg is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LBC
Posts: 51
Yes, I saw his thread hence why I decided I should make a thread regarding dosing regime.

Let say I dose at 5pm, how long before it takes effect ie. seeing nitrites, nirates etc. change?
snakebite is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
Yes, I saw his thread hence why I decided I should make a thread regarding dosing regime.

Let say I dose at 5pm, how long before it takes effect ie. seeing nitrites, nirates etc. change?
Your nitrites should not change at all, since we are dosing them.

Your nitrates will change, and how fast will depend on how much circulation you have in your aquarium to mix it around. I would say maybe 30 minutes should give you equal dispersion around your entire aquarium? This is just a random estimate.

Anthony


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LBC
Posts: 51
So follow the below...

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

...then adjust accordingly?

I'm confused...I think once I start dosing and checking water parameters, It'll be alot easier to understand.
snakebite is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 01:12 AM
Moderator
 
Darkblade48's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebite View Post
So follow the below...

40~60gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/2 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/8 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week
3/4 Tsp-GH booster once a week
10ml or 1/8Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

...then adjust accordingly?

I'm confused...I think once I start dosing and checking water parameters, It'll be alot easier to understand.
This looks like your typical EI dosing regime; you probably don't need to test the water too often, since this is what EI was designed to avoid.

Just start dosing as above and then adjust accordingly, I would say.

Anthony


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,012
You can dose per the EI dosages forever if you wish, and if you continue doing 50% water changes every week or so. Or, you can "adjust accordingly", which means reducing the dosages a bit, watching the plants for a week to be sure they continue to grow as well, and repeating this until you see the plants don't do as well, then go back to the last dosage where the plants did well. You need to do this with only one chemical at a time, starting with KNO3, for example. Then KH2PO4, then CSM+B, etc. Once you have "adjusted accordingly" you can relax on the water changes, doing them less frequently or in a smaller percentage at a time. Just be aware that the dosages needed are proportional to the mass of the plants in the tank - the more plants, the higher the needed dosages, all else being equal. That seems like work to me, so I just use the EI dosages, adjusted downward a bit because I use low light.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LBC
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
This looks like your typical EI dosing regime; you probably don't need to test the water too often, since this is what EI was designed to avoid.

Just start dosing as above and then adjust accordingly, I would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You can dose per the EI dosages forever if you wish, and if you continue doing 50% water changes every week or so. Or, you can "adjust accordingly", which means reducing the dosages a bit, watching the plants for a week to be sure they continue to grow as well, and repeating this until you see the plants don't do as well, then go back to the last dosage where the plants did well. You need to do this with only one chemical at a time, starting with KNO3, for example. Then KH2PO4, then CSM+B, etc. Once you have "adjusted accordingly" you can relax on the water changes, doing them less frequently or in a smaller percentage at a time. Just be aware that the dosages needed are proportional to the mass of the plants in the tank - the more plants, the higher the needed dosages, all else being equal. That seems like work to me, so I just use the EI dosages, adjusted downward a bit because I use low light.
Thanks, you rock guys
snakebite is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome