80 ppm kno3 (too much) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
80 ppm kno3 (too much)

So i started EI dosing a few weeks back. Still very new to dry ferts. When ever i check my kno3 with a ape test kit its been bright red so thinking its at least 80 ppm. My plan of attack is to cut out kno3 till it gets under control and just dose full kh2p04 and k2s04. Is this wise?

Tank LIGHTLY planted
2xt5ho 1 t8 over a 29g tall
Pressurized co2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It's high but not dangerous. I would cut back too.
Your plants aren't using the nutrients, maybe you don't have enough plants or CO2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Other sources of NO3 include fish food, and dying things like plant leaves. Were you running this tank in pretty much the same way before you started dosing ferts? If so, what was the nitrate level doing then? If you were having to do water changes to keep it under control, then the fish food etc. is adding enough nitrogen, you do not have to dose any.

Ditto: Quit adding it until the NO3 is quite low, perhaps 10 ppm. Then dose only enough to make it perhaps 20 ppm by the end of the week.
Using the original EI method, a 50% water change will keep the NO3 cycling about 10 ppm right after the water change to 20 ppm by the end of the week. See how the plants do with that, and alter if needed.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
First, verify that you are following the test kit directions exactly. Then made a solution of distilled water and KNO3 that you know has100 ppm of NO3. (about 1/10th of a teaspoon of KNO3 in one gallon of distilled water.) Test it to see if the test kit reads right. Then dilute that mix 50-50 with more distilled water to get a 50 ppm known sample and test it. Dilute 50-50 again and test again. This will calibrate your test kit, so you can rely on the results. Don't worry about 20% errors, just about 100% errors.

Hoppy
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Very good point (as usual) from Hoppy!
Lets make sure there really is a problem, before trying to deal with it!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies guys. Before I started dosing EI kno3 never got above 10ppm but the tank was heavily planted. I shake the crap out of those bottles, bang them on the table the whole 9 yards. Hoppy thanks for the advise I'll have to try to calibrate the test kit tomorrow if i have the time.
thanks
Chris
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

So, if the baseline reading for NO3 was never more than 10 ppm before dosing, then you can reasonably assume that dosing has caused the majority of the increase. Calibrate the test kit, but in the mean time, yes, stop dosing the KNO3.
If the plants need more K then use K2SO4 or other source of K.

You may find that the plants are capable of removing all the NO3 down to 0 ppm. Before you were dosing anything it is possible that they were short of something, and this limited their intake of nitrogen. Now, with any possible deficiency addressed, they will be able to remove more N from the tank. Monitor this, and begin dosing KNO3 as needed.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My tank was 80-120 PPM NO3 with EI. Measured with calibrated Seachem
NO2/NO3 test kit. I used to think high NO3 was OK. But now I'm suspecting
it was the cause of deformed Cory fries that had occurred and overall tank
health problems. Yep, just "suspect", because most of ALL the info we currently
have in this hobby is just a kind of speculation and opinion. So treat it like that.

But 80-120 PPM was very eye opening and so shocking. I had been dosing
"just" 21 PPM a week with KNO3. My tap is 3 PPM.

Note: the Seachem reference solution that came with the package got
mold or bacteria inside. It measured 2 PPM instead of 10. So I made
my own solution to calibrate it.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

should i continue to dose kh2po4 and csm-b at full doses? I'll try to calibrate as soon as possible. I'm misting and i have 2 t5ho so i would think the plants will be able to use the nutrients.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:49 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
should i continue to dose kh2po4 and csm-b at full doses? I'll try to calibrate as soon as possible. I'm misting and i have 2 t5ho so i would think the plants will be able to use the nutrients.
I would continue your other dosing as normal, at least until the nitrate level is lowered.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If your tank is accumulating NO3, then most likely you are overdosing (either calculated wrong, or plants don't use the nutrients as expected). We can then assume that the other nutrients are overdosed and accumulating as well. You can verify this with a (Hoppy-calibrated-of-course) PO4 test kit if you wish.

Are you doing the recommended 50% weekly water changes to reset your parameters and maintain the balance of your tank?

In other words... I would consider reducing the other nutrients sort of proportionally.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I'm in a similar situation, though between 80-160 ppm and compounded by buffering from the eco-complete. I plan to calibrate the kit this weekend to be sure but it seems accurate based on observations of other tanks.

I've reduced KNO3 dosing and increased potassium to compensate. I understand that overdosing K is not a concern but what about phosphate?

Snail Glades,
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:33 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer View Post
I'm in a similar situation, though between 80-160 ppm and compounded by buffering from the eco-complete. I plan to calibrate the kit this weekend to be sure but it seems accurate based on observations of other tanks.

I've reduced KNO3 dosing and increased potassium to compensate. I understand that overdosing K is not a concern but what about phosphate?
Having a bit more potassium is fine, but phosphates are another story; as with anything, if they are out of balance, you may encounter algae problems.

I would calibrate your PO4 test kit and test those as well.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Having a bit more potassium is fine, but phosphates are another story; as with anything, if they are out of balance, you may encounter algae problems.
Brown dust algae specifically? I'm seeing lots of that on hygro and HM leaves, along with some BBA and something on the glass at the substrate.

I've also been dialing in the CO2 again.

This is less about balancing a tank and more about juggling it. I assumed that the 50% WCs were keeping it all in check but apparently not.

Time to order a phosphate kit.

Does excess phosphate affect plants or animals directly?

Snail Glades,
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm doing 50% water changes. Thinking of cutting the csm-b dose by half. Hopefully with the re scape ill have enough plant load to follow the EI calculator would be much easier. thanks for all the replies guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode