Why do you have to do a huge dose of excell after a water change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Why do you have to do a huge dose of excell after a water change?

So why do you need to dose a large dose of excel after a water change?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't see a need to do a massive dosing of excel after a water change. excel only lasts for 24 hours so it really makes no sense.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a planted discus tank in which I do 2-3 large wcs a week, and dose Excel after each wc, mainly for it's algacide properties (It really helps to keep algae under control) but also to provide a source of carbon for the plants, albeit temporarily.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You don't need to dose a larger than normal dose of Excel after water changes. It isn't even a good idea to do so, if you have Vals, or other plants that are sensitive to Excel. Just do the regular 1 ml per 10 gallon dose every day, whether you do a water change or not.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You don't need to dose a larger than normal dose of Excel after water changes. It isn't even a good idea to do so, if you have Vals, or other plants that are sensitive to Excel. Just do the regular 1 ml per 10 gallon dose every day, whether you do a water change or not.
I think the OP is referring to the manufacturers directions to dose what is basically 4 times the daily dose after a water change of more than 40% or on initial use.

It might be best to direct that question to Seachem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I think the OP is referring to the manufacturers directions to dose what is basically 4 times the daily dose after a water change of more than 40% or on initial use.

It might be best to direct that question to Seachem.
It is Seachem that recommends the extra high dose after water changes. I have seen test results showing that to be a bad idea - the testing done by a competitor to Excel, API CO2 Booster, where dosing a 1 ml/10 gallon daily dose resulted in better plant growth than Seachem's recommended dosages.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode