What just happen? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
What just happen?

I just did a water change of 15 or so gallon in my 29G I had to re-plant some hair grass and jam in some root tabs and I filled the tank back up the Otos are acting like they are drunk and my Loache is MIA. WTF the Cichlid are hide like the boogie man just bit them in the ass.

Is it possible to put too much conditioner in?
The filter cartridge was super drown and not flowing well so I put a new cartridge with Carbon could this be causeing this?

OR AM I JUST FREAKING OUT FOR NO REASON?

I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Was the water colder or warmer than normal? Fish will sometimes respond differently to this if they arent used to it.
Different oxygen levels can cause this s well between tank water, and water change water.

Or the fact that their environment changed and they feel unsafe when u replanted the grass

It wouldnt be a bad idea to check for ammonia since u added root tabs

Sump Pimp #7

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Your scalless fish will be more sensitive to parameter changes...which explains the oto and loach behavior.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Loache showed up water was a little warmer by about 4. I have not seen all the Oto's

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Also if you changed the filter cartridge you have fewer beneficial bacteria to convert things.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The cartridge was so dirty that even after rinseing it out it was brown and nasty looking. The tannis in was real dark. Im changing to a 10g WC ever week and filter cleaning bi weekly.
I'll be adding a second filter in the next mouth. Iwant to run one as a mechanical filter and one as a chemical filter.

I didn't dose(NPK) the tank last night so I'll do that when i get back from church

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok they are acting normal and eating. So guess I stressed them out a little.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
To be on the safe side, colder water is better than warmer. Warmer water has less oxygen content by default.
Id rather go 4 degrees colder than 4 warmer, fish dont seem to mind colder water as long as its not 20 degrees difference. My tank in the winter will drop about 10 degrees during a water change fishies are happy and healthy

Sump Pimp #7

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Agree that colder is better than warmer and think that 4 degrees of instant temp change in either direction (especially up) is too much. If I had to change 50% of my water at once I would use a thermometer to check the temp.

(defunct)

same tank another approach (defunct)

same tank now

Goldfish are among the worst fish for beginners.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im down to 10g changes from now on. I think this will stress the fish alot less anyway.
Thanks for the help

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Um how many root tabs did u use for your unspecified sized nano tank? Root tabs should also be inserted fatly deeply to hasten the feeding into the water column.

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's a 29g and I added only 10 this time and only in the areas that are planted. I shove them as deep as I can get them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode