regular snails
1 BN pleco
1x a week 50% wc
temp 78

Plants
about 10-12 anubias
lots of small-med java fern
getting in a bunch of crypts and 5 more anubias
floating water lettuce to control nitrates (cover about 50% of surface before water change, then i cull it down to 20-25%)

I have been dosing seachem flourish 1x a week (10mL)
I have root tabs at about 1/2 the recommendation on the package

I have ZERO algea in my tank and all plants are growing well, but slowly (I don't expect more w/ low-tech)

Q: can I just dose micros from powder form and skip the stuff with NPK since my fish food and waste should provide the NPK? Which also means skipping the plant tabs.

or

Q: Should I just dose micro from powder in my water column and use oscmocote as plant tabs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
My advice is either way you go, you still need to dose NPK. Plus I would change to twice a week dosing the flourish comprehensive, and you should be ok with using osmocote plus as root tabs (1 tab per square foot of tank space). The osmocote plus tabs should be fine as a substitute of the NPK, since osmocote contains nitrate, phosphate, and potassium.

Which flourish product are you using? If it's flourish comprehensive, it pretty much contains micro nutrients. SeaChem needs to change the name of it to Flourish Micro if you ask me.

So if you're using flourish comprehensive, and then Osmocote Plus root tabs or root cicles you should be fine with only using them together. Now what are you doing about co2?

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Okay, great!
Using comprehensive.
So I will up the micros to 2x a week--I can start using powder micros instead to save some money right??
When I use up the plant tabs I'll get osmocote plus.

I'm not sure why I need CO2, I don't have the light to support it and my plants are all slow growers in general from what I've read. As it is most of my anubias are throwing out a new leaf every 2 weeks or so and my lettuce grows like a tumor! Java ferns I've only had for a short while but haven't done anything, but I understand that is typical in the beginning.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Well any kind of "Carbon supplement" is needed for plant survival, both in and out the water plants still react the same, during the day taking in carbon dioxide, and releasing oxygen during photosynthesis. Aquatic plants are no different, but with aquatic plants there's ways to "cheat" with carbon dioxide, this would be a liquid substitute like Flourish Excel, or API Co2 booster. Remember that at night the exchange of carbon dioxide to oxygen reverses to taking in oxygen and releasing carbon dioxide.

As for using dry fertilizers for your micro nutrients, sure you can get some Plantex CSM+B dry fertilizer for your micro's then use Osmocote Plus for the macro's along with boosting your micro's.

Just remember to get the Osmocote Plus 15-9-12 just a reminder because Osmocote comes in a wide variety of different applications.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Is the light a T5NO or T5HO light? You get different light intensity from the two. With the NO light you don't need to dose anything, since the plants can't grow fast enough to need more than the fish and fish food supply. With the HO light, you get around 30 micromols of PAR, enough that dosing NPK and traces can be of benefit to support the faster plant growth rate.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Is the light a T5NO or T5HO light? You get different light intensity from the two. With the NO light you don't need to dose anything, since the plants can't grow fast enough to need more than the fish and fish food supply. With the HO light, you get around 30 micromols of PAR, enough that dosing NPK and traces can be of benefit to support the faster plant growth rate.
Regular T5, so don't dose anything at all? not even micros? I was really dosing micros to ensure the watter lettuce got enough so it would grow fast and suck out nitrogen from the tank-- that and just an added insurance to prevent deficiency

Last edited by dprais1; 10-28-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: explain
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
The water lettuce is at very high PAR on the surface and may benefit from K or micro fertz but, like Hoppy said, not the underwater stuff. Not likely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(defunct)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
same tank another approach (defunct)

same tank now

Goldfish are among the worst fish for beginners.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode