cycling question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
cycling question

Hello All !!!
I have a cycling question.
I have successful high pH multiple tanks (Malawi and Tanganyika setups) running for many years, I am planing to setup a mid-range planted tank (something in 20G range). How can I transfer nitrifying bacteria from cycled high pH tank to my future planted tank ? Just running canister or HOB for 2-3 weeks and then transferring to my planted tank ...

In current setup I have 8.0 to 8.6 pH and around 80F

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paronaram View Post
Hello All !!!
I have a cycling question.
I have successful high pH multiple tanks (Malawi and Tanganyika setups) running for many years, I am planing to setup a mid-range planted tank (something in 20G range). How can I transfer nitrifying bacteria from cycled high pH tank to my future planted tank ? Just running canister or HOB for 2-3 weeks and then transferring to my planted tank ...

In current setup I have 8.0 to 8.6 pH and around 80F

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
Hello par...

As long as the tank you're taking the media from is as large or larger than your 20 G, then the new tank should cycle instantly.

Good bacteria reproduces extremely quickly, so you shouldn't have a problem removing a good portion of the used media from the established tank.

Aquarium fish prefer a higher pH. The plants not so much, but they'll adapt.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi BB
What if the new setup is 7 pH and bacteria in established filter from 8+ pH, it will not kill it?

Thank you.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The nitrifying bacteria in fresh water tanks will grow just fine in water with a wide range of parameters.
Oxygen: High oxygen level, good water movement.
Ammonia: up to 5 ppm is OK, and 3 ppm is a good level to maintain while doing the fishless cycle. After that, the bacteria will grow or die to match the ammonia load from the fish.
Nitrite: Up to 5 ppm is OK during the fishless cycle. Higher levels of NO2 are associated with slower growth of these bacteria, and the cycle seems to stall.
Carbonates: These bacteria need the carbon from the carbonates. If the KH is at least 3 German degrees of hardness, there is enough carbonates for the bacteria. Monitor it. If the KH drops add some carbonates or bicarbonates.
pH: I am not sure if these bacteria specifically need alkaline pH, or it is the carbonates they need, and a good level of KH is usually associated with alkaline pH. Anyway, pH down to about 6.5 is generally OK, though they are starting to grow slower at that lower end. By 6.0 there can be a serious problem with these bacteria.

I have often set up a new tank by sharing some media from the filters of several other well established fresh water tanks, no matter what the water parameters are. Salt water tanks have different species of bacteria, so these are not useful in fresh water tanks. But no matter what the KH, GH, pH or TDS, fresh water tanks all share the same bacteria, and the bacteria seem able to make the switch just fine.

In this case I would take no more than 25% of the media from each of your established tanks and put this into the new filter on the new tank. Then do the fishless cycle.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you All for HELP!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode