What do you use in your Aqua clear media basket? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
What do you use in your Aqua clear media basket?

I have an Aqua Clear 70 on my 20g long planted shrimp tank. Right now I have the sponge on the bottom, ceramic rings from aqua clear in the middle and a bag of purigen on top. I also have a fluval sponge over the intake. I also just added a Aqueon 10 with filter floss only.

I have a couple of ques.
How often if ever do you change the rings, or sponge? I rinse them every 2-3 weeks in tank water.

Is the order of the filter media optimal?

Is it worth adding a internal sponge filter to the equation? As I heard and read its filtration, filtration, filtration! I would like for my Red Rili's to breed.

I know I'm already forgetting questions I had, hopefully they'll come to me later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your Hagen Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Toro View Post
I have an Aqua Clear 70 on my 20g long planted shrimp tank. Right now I have the sponge on the bottom, ceramic rings from aqua clear in the middle and a bag of purigen on top. I also have a fluval sponge over the intake. I also just added a Aqueon 10 with filter floss only.

I have a couple of ques.
How often if ever do you change the rings, or sponge? I rinse them every 2-3 weeks in tank water.

Is the order of the filter media optimal?

Is it worth adding a internal sponge filter to the equation? As I heard and read its filtration, filtration, filtration! I would like for my Red Rili's to breed.

I know I'm already forgetting questions I had, hopefully they'll come to me later.
Whoa Darth!...

That's some heavy filtration for such a small tank. For a 20 G, you only need a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 120. A Hagen AquaClear 30, with a gph of 150, would be plenty for your tank and considerably less expensive.

If you keep up with your weekly, large water changes you don't need to over filter your tank. The filter is simply filtering pure water.

Anyway, if you follow a sound water change routine, you don't need carbon, so you can save a little there.

I use the bag of biomax and a dense polyfiber in my HOBs. These two will get the job done. Once a week, rinse the media in some of the old tank water and put everything back in. The biomax will last indefinitely and I only replace the fiber every other week or so, depending on it's condition.

Hope this info helps!

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
I have read of many people on here using a lot of filtration even on small tanks. I stopped using carbon some time ago. So my cost factor is not an issue. I use the aqua clear sponge and not floss in the media basket. The floss I use on the Aqueon 10

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode